[graphical gui] Whonix Setup Wizard / Anon Connection Wizard - Technical Discussion

I couldn’t agree more! Integrating those relatively independent modules together seems not to be a low-coupling design. (Btw, Tor-launcher is also a victim of high-coupling design.)

The following is the archives of your and my replies to this problem:

1 Like

There are at least four "Tor-launcher"s being developed and maintained, which consumed a lot of developer time:

• Tor-launcher in TBB
  • Tor-launcher in sandbox TBB by yawning
  • anon-connection-wizard in Whonix
  • Tor-launcher in Tails

When anon-connection-wizard is mature enough to be also used in Tails, problem can be mitigated a little bit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please sign up using News - Whonix Forum and tell me your user account so I can add you write access.

1 Like

Thank you, Patrick!

I have registered my username as iry.

1 Like

Alright. Please try writing a blog draft.

1 Like

Low priority… Could you please prettify the short and long package description in debian/control?

I guess there is a lot more to say there now. More generically. Not tied to Whonix. The description targets users, not so much developers.

Would then show up in package info websites. Example: Debian -- Details of package tor in stretch

(Then please try to rebuild the package so that no new lintian warnings due to the improved package description are introduced.)

1 Like

Thank you, Patrick!

I have created a draft and hit that Submit for Review button.

Great, published!

1 Like

Would you like to post future content? Feel free to use News - Whonix Forum as your platform to amplify your voice.

Also, would you like to talk more about anon-connection-wizard on Whonix social media?

Very relaxed posting policy. Just post some random screenshots (existing ones are fine). Some random info, snippets, work done, future work, link to discussions, call for contributions, engaging with users, and whatnot. And/or also other non-anon-connection-wizard, general Whonix/anonymity/security related content.

1 Like

Patrick Schleizer:

Would you like to post future content? Feel free to use News - Whonix Forum as your platform to amplify your voice.

Definitely! That sounds awesome to me!

Also, would you like to talk more about anon-connection-wizard on Whonix social media?

Very relaxed posting policy. Just post some random screenshots (existing ones are fine). Some random info, snippets, work done, future work, link to discussions, call for contributions, engaging with users, and whatnot.

Yes! The post I wrote on Whonix blog seems satisfied several requirement
here. I will try to do some adjustment on it and post them on twitter
and Facebook.

I am not sure but maybe sending an encrypted email will be the best way
to pass me the confidential?

And/or also other non-anon-connection-wizard, general Whonix/anonymity/security related content.

Sure! As long as I am confident enough to inform the public these
contents without misleading or obscuring them, I will be more than happy
to do so.

1 Like

Hi, Patrick!

It seems that the post is not showing up anywhere on the Whonix blog (not on homepage or recent post or certain category). It can be accessed from the direct URL to that post though.

I tried to search the problem online but it seems there is not much I can do. Is there anything I did wrong?

Thank you very much!

1 Like

iry:

Hi, Patrick!

It seems that the post is not showing up anywhere on the Whonix blog (not on homepage or recent post or certain category). It can be accessed from the direct URL to that post though.

I tried to search the problem online but it seems there is not much I can do. Is there anything I did wrong?

Thank you very much!

Server caching issue. Cache cleared. Thanks!

1 Like

iry:

Patrick Schleizer:

Definitely! That sounds awesome to me!

Very relaxed posting policy. Just post some random screenshots (existing ones are fine). Some random info, snippets, work done, future work, link to discussions, call for contributions, engaging with users, and whatnot.

Yes! The post I wrote on Whonix blog seems satisfied several requirement
here. I will try to do some adjustment on it and post them on twitter
and Facebook.

I am not sure but maybe sending an encrypted email will be the best way
to pass me the confidential?

And/or also other non-anon-connection-wizard, general Whonix/anonymity/security related content.

Sure! As long as I am confident enough to inform the public these
contents without misleading or obscuring them, I will be more than happy
to do so.

Credentials sent by encrypted e-mail just now. Also upgraded your
wordpress account so you can post without prior confirmation.

As for postings, don’t worry too much. We better have non-perfect
activity rather than perfect non-activity. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As for anon-connection-wizard in Whonix 14… That’s an ambitious goal!

The remaining for Whonix 14 is plenty and difficult.

https://phabricator.whonix.org/maniphest/query/5sZ7FpwCEQDz/#R

But should be doable.

We don’t have tickets for it yet. But since anon-connection-wizard is working good enough… Could you create tickets please? Like for whonix-setup-wizard integreation? And help with these please? :slight_smile: I guess throw out all connection-wizard code from whonix-setup-wizard and then just start anon-connection-wizard from whonix-setup-wizard?

From next year, we can abolish the Whonix first time setup disclaimer. And we’ll enable Whonix’s repository by default for Whonix download version. From then, we’ll only autostart anon-connection-wizard on Whonix-Gateway.

So depending on how long the release of Whonix 14 takes, we might not need whonix-setup-wizard changes.

1 Like

I agree! That is an inspiring point!

1 Like

Sure thing! Done: ⚓ T716 Integrate anon-connection-wizard into whonix-setup-wizard

That sounds awesome!

Yes! Let’s see how far the integration work can go!

1 Like

Hi @0brand ! To avoid cross-posting, let’s continue the anon-connection-wizard discussion here.

anonym replied on tails-dev@ list, which sounds to be very good new! I will keep following this up.

2 Likes

A ticket for anon-connection-wizard future development has been opened: ⚓ T504 anon-connection-wizard development

A suggestion, not a strict rule at all:
This forum post will be the place to discuss new-features/plans/announcement and so on and T504 will be place to discuss code and implementation.

1 Like

Hi @iry

Apologies, I should have know better than to start a new developmental discussion elsewhere.

Good news indeed! If they would be willing to share the workload, it could lead to other great thing. Like having time to sleep, eat, etc… :grinning:

1 Like

How to install anon-connection-wizard in a clean /Debian8 or Debian9:

1. install all the dependencies: sudo apt-get install git python3-pyqt5 python3-yalm python3-stem tor

2. anon-connection-wizard is using torrc.d feature which is firstly implemented in 0.3.1.1-alpha. Use tor --version to check if your Tor version is below that. Currently, you need to upgrade to an unstable version of Tor to use it, see this page for better instructions on how to upgrade Tor.

3. git clone https://github.com/Whonix/anon-connection-wizard
    git clone https://github.com/Whonix/python-guimessages

4. sudo cp anon-connection-wizard/usr/* /usr/ -r

5. sudo cp python-guimessages/usr/* /usr/ -r

6. run sudo anon-connection-wizard to start it

2 Likes