Gajim Messenger

Sounds good overall, but its OTR plugin is not packaged for Debian:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=722130

According to the comments on your link, I am also not sure it supports socks proxy settings for stream isolation.

Seems the situation has improved since?

OMEMO support has been added at least though I don’t know if stretch has it.

The last reply to this topic was 917 days ago.

A lot has changed since.

omemo is available for gajim and installable from jessie backports.

Just now documented gajim.

Instant Messenger Chat

Is gajim still advisable or are there any deal breakers?

There is some TODO bullet points at the bottom. Most of them require contacting Debian or gajim upstream. Could you please work on that?

1 Like

Yes its all good. I’ll look into the todo list.

1 Like
  • Last year there was a bug where encryption wasn’t applied to uploads using httpupload even when OMEMO was applied. This has been fixed in version 0.4. Stretch includes 0.4.1 so its covered.

accounts.Local.log_encrypted_sessions = True
plugins.plugin_installer.active = True

could be set to False.

• The plugininstaller is annoying and actively pushes users to update and install code over CA TLS which is broken in our threat model.

• The DNS problem can be considered a “protocol leak” but in the context this page describes this (using the bittorrent example), its not relevant Whonix since it can’t leak that info.

Its up to you if you want to go forward with this given this info.

1 Like

Worth going forward. I see potential in gajim that we could one day install it by default.

Answered in a separate thread.

https://forums.whonix.org/t/should-strict-stream-isolation-by-a-requirement-in-whonixs-default-appliation-policy

Right. As a short term unclean solution: This is currently documented on how to disable it. This solution could also be automated in the security-misc package.

sudo dpkg-divert --add --rename /usr/share/gajim/plugins/plugin_installer/__init__.py

Long term clean solution todo: Debian feature request to ship the gajim plugin-installer plugin in a separate Debian package

Added another todo: feature request for .d config folder support

1 Like

Sounds good.

Also can gajim be turned into stream isolation compliant by using uwt or bindp?

1 Like

It depends somewhat on this TODO:

check if above makes sense - gajim might intelligently set a Tor socks user name per account already and manually setting a user name might worsen that

Depends on what upstream answers. Does Gajim set the socks user name different per account? If it does, torsocks might kill the DNS leak, but would also kill the per account socks user name isolation.

torsocks can only be a solution, if it’s known that the application is known to play well with torsocks, i.e. long term tested, mentioned in TorifyHOWTO, audited by somene. This is not the case with gajim.

uwt is just automating torsocks. Cannot surpass torsocks in terms of leak prevention. The first question to ask isn’t uwt, but torsocks.

bindp is only useful for applications using incoming Tor hidden services, that are opening local listeners on localhost 127.0.0.1 that should rather listen on eth0.

Thanks for explaining. Its worth adding this to the wiki design docs if it isn’t in there already.

I found more links on gajim socks support. I don’t know if this changes anything.

Scroll to the bottom of this page:

1 Like

Doesn’t change anything.

Looks like Integrate Tor into Gajim (#7026) · Issues · gajim / gajim · GitLab is already implemented.

I knew InstantMessaging · Wiki · Legacy / Trac · GitLab.

by @JasonJAyalaP

1 Like

Chat: Difference between revisions - Whonix

My god … can anyone tell me the instruction in the documentation for whonix is suitable? I can just do what’s written there step by step and everything?

Just now updated: Instant Messenger Chat instructions can be used as is.

Preferences -> Advanced -> global proxy -> mange -> Tor -> check Use proxy authentication -> set username to gajim -> set password to gajim/
It means that I have to write there my nickname, which I use for communication? And the password I used to register on the jabber server for this nickname?
How to change the language?

No. As it says. Set to gajim.

Some developments on the DNS leaks in Gajim including patches by Jeremy Rand: Gajim with Tor leaks DNS requests (#8538) · Issues · gajim / gajim · GitLab

Meanwhile I have a suggestion on how Gajim’s traffic can be forced to use stream isolation. What if it is installed under its own user account and then you can use bindp to force all traffic for that user over its own isolated stream? Does that make sense? Can it fix things?

Another idea is to setup a local DNS server to forward requests to the port that we want (for the gajim user specifically). In that case you must be careful to disable caching so requests don’t stand out.

Other ideas in the same area: using lxc containers, namespaces or apparmor profiles to manipulate per application network settings.

1 Like

Thread on TAILS’ plans to use Gajim Using Gajim in Tails (#8796) · Issues · gajim / gajim · GitLab

1 Like