FS-VERITY in Linux 5.4

2 Likes

Yubikey is a proprietary meme. non-libre TPMs are not much better and have a history of being vulnerable to divulging secrets.

I am interested to see how well this functions with KVMā€™s virtual TPM however.

1 Like

Interesting nonetheless. Would consider contributions. Not going to happen anytime soon due to many tasks.

Most hardware is proprietary. Yubikey/TPMs arenā€™t any worse.

Everything has had vulnerabilities and I donā€™t see how TPMs are especially bad. Would you rather have your encryption keys be stored totally unprotected?

Never mind that you can never trust key material generated by the TPM as its RNG is closed and they can keep copies of it at the factory. However any storage feature defects caused by their firmware can never be patched by anyone but them. Assuming they care to invest in security patching and didn;ā€™ go out of business. Thatā€™s the problem of designating a closed piece of hardware as your root of trust. A FLOSS smartcard is a much better option.

1 Like

Proprietary or not is irrelevant. Free software is just as easily backdoored. For example, look at OpenSSLā€™s Heartbleed. There was a critical vulnerability introduced into a mostly useless part of the software that went undetected for years. Or the Debian OpenSSL bug. Or the hundreds of vulnerabilities in Linux found each month. etc.

You have no idea if any of these were backdoors or not. Backdoors are not going to be obvious. They are going to be obscure bugs that can be passed off as a simple mistake once found and software being open source will not save you.

Open source does not mean ā€œunbackdoorableā€ or secure.

Even if you had FOSS hardware, you wouldnā€™t be able to verify that the hardware runs the code they give you anyway.

Some smartcard is also not as secure as a proper TPM.

I am talking about the ability of the user to get/create security updates for the proprietary firmware. I never claimed open was magically bug free.

1 Like

On measured boot, which seems better than SecureBoot: