[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [DONATE]

forward and reverse dns don't match up

I get this message when logging into oftc with xchat. I just installed the new qubes 3.1 r3. Never saw this message before.

What does this mean? Is this normal?

What do you mean by “normal”?

meaning should I be concerned?

I think it might have something to do with my name being registered to the network? Because when I set it to auto sign in i don’t get the message anymore, its just says successfully identified. Unless its just random.

I never saw it before, was on a fresh qubes install so was wondering if it was normal for that to happen? I don’t know how else to describe normal.

also related to xchat, maybe unrelated to the fresh install, but I keep getting failed to find certificate when trying to join the oftc network. So what i’ve been doing is just restarting xchat a couple times till it goes through. Not sure why this is happening, is it only happening to me?

Just now added a new FAQ entry for that:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/FAQ#Should_I_be_concerned_about…_.3F

I don’t see you mentioning forward and reverse dns mismatches anywhere. So if anybody else wonders what it means, they will always be wondering as a whonix user I guess…

It’s not documented at Whonix.

There is just too many of this sort of messages and explaining all of
them at the current rate of user growth would result in getting nothing
else done besides answering questions.

Well, I can’t do anything else anyway so…

Unless they search for “forward reverse dns”:

Forward DNS lookup is using an Internet domain name to find an IP address. Reverse DNS lookup is using an Internet IP address to find a domain name.

Only if the forward and reverse DNS don’t match.

user@host:~$ nslookup yahoo.com
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    yahoo.com
Address: 98.139.183.24

user@host:~$ nslookup 98.139.183.24
Non-authoritative answer:
24.183.139.98.in-addr.arpa    name = ir2.fp.vip.bf1.yahoo.com.

I thought thats what forums were for?

Hmm, so its not normal, I wonder why it was happening. I still think it might of had something to do with the fact i was using a registered name and I hadn’t logged into it. Because the message went away once i setup xchat to automatically log me in with my username.

CooloutAC:

I thought thats what forums were for?

Dunno. In any case I would like to limit my activity here to solving
actual issues as in “I want to do X, how can I do it” rather than X Y
problem style.

Anyhow. If the community such as @entr0py help out, that’s great!

Again, I don’t know wtf that means either. It sounds like you got some issues going on with you. Imo the best thing you could do would be not to reply at all, which is better then coming off as a snob.

I’ll be sure never to fucking post here again!

We have a better FAQ entry for such cases nowadays:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/FAQ#Non-Responsiveness_to_Concerns

This demonstrates acknowledgement of the report, but also signals it is not considered a serious problem at this time. Secondly, answering with a FAQ link is better than a non-answer. A nil response makes it unclear if the report has been seen or whether project development is even active.

I stopped using whonix a while ago. I wouldn’t trust anything your involved with.

Patrick

February 21

We have a better FAQ entry for such cases nowadays:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/FAQ#Non-Responsiveness_to_Concerns

“It sounds like you got some issues going on with you.”

“I’ll be sure never to fucking post here again!”

“I wouldn’t trust anything your involved with.”

Hmm. User who:

1. Doesn’t do basic internet research on the ‘problem’.
  2. Expects lead Whonix developer to hold his hand.
  3. Is provided with reasonable explanation for dev response (+ wiki entry to that effect) and still loses their shit.

Is back 3 years later, posting about how they abandoned a super-solid platform, based on vague notions of dev distrust they dreamt up in some paranoid fantasy.

Super logical.

By the way, it is “you’re” and not “your” :wink:

//edited by @Patrick

I already “fucked off” for good. I got your message in my email and replied. Bye again for years to come…lol

A post was split to a new topic: concern trolling