Enabling shortcuts on Plasma 5 (kde-folderview)

Disabling folder view is by design temporarily because KDE devs are revamping code. It should be back by 5.12. If this dev post is any hint, it means that distro maintainers are able to enable the folder view widget if they want to

https://blogs.kde.org/2018/01/24/and-again-story-kde-plasmas-desktop-icons-512-improvements

Someone pointed ot where folderview widget settings are saved on Plasma 5. Maybe that could help?

2 Likes

It’s not possible to ship ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc (either directly or through /etc/skel).

~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc is weird. It’s auto generated. A premade file won’t work. Then all files related to it would require to be pre-shipped. I.e. ship as many folder in home folder until this works, which is a very unclean solution. It has to be implemented using plasma scripting somehow.

2 Likes

Thanks to this:

It points to this post which describes how its done on OpenSUSE:

Confirmed by:

It seems to have been posted a few months before Jason’s thread.

1 Like

That’s a new lead.

Still very difficult to translate into a working git commit.

[Desktop][org.kde.plasma.desktop]
Containment=org.kde.plasma.folder

to the contents/defaults file in the look-and-feel.

We’d have to create our own kde look-and-feel package.
(Or transform any existing package to serve that purpose.)

And then figure out how to enable that look-and-feel package by default.

They have some - luckily simpler - look and feel packages here:

netrunner-artwork · GitHub

I was also looking into changing the wallpaper depending on live or non-live mode.
To change it via the command line you can use the code posted here:
Right click wallpaper changer. - Kubuntu Forums

qdbus org.kde.plasmashell /PlasmaShell org.kde.PlasmaShell.evaluateScript 'var allDesktops = desktops();print (allDesktops);for (i=0;i<allDesktops.length;i++) {d = allDesktops[i];d.wallpaperPlugin = "org.kde.image";d.currentConfigGroup = Array("Wallpaper", "org.kde.image", "General");d.writeConfig("Image", "file:///media/sda2/Background/SpaceWall/Escape_Function.jpg")}'

Maybe this could be adjusted to become a simple solution to enable folderview as well? @Algernon

I actually also looked into this issue and came across the links posted by HulaHoop. I think I tried the opensuse stuff but it didn’t work for me.

2 Likes