Derivative Maker Automated CI Builder

Still running in to some very frustrating issues with the mount point being busy. Not sure why. I restarted, unmounted everything, etc

$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="11"
VERSION="11 (bullseye)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
ID=debian
HOME_URL="https://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="https://www.debian.org/support"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"

$ sudo umount /home/ansible/derivative-binary/Whonix-Gateway-XFCE_image
umount: /home/ansible/derivative-binary/Whonix-Gateway-XFCE_image: target is busy.

Sure if I add a -f or -l flag

but if I unmount I still see

$ sudo losetup -a
/dev/loop0: [65025]:1312560 (/home/ansible/derivative-binary/ae1f3d469da21e5532573f32b0f9415e14d849e8/Whonix-Gateway-XFCE-ae1f3d469da21e5532573f32b0f9415e14d849e8.Intel_AMD64.raw (deleted))

running sudo losetup -D does not detach it, but when I reboot the machine, sudo losetup -a shows nothing (so restarting does in fact kill the losetup, but only after the force umount)

I am not sure how all this stuff works. I love linux, but really feelin like a dumb webdev right now :laughing:

About to rerun the build for new logs

1 Like

sorry to keep buggin ya @Patrick, I am trying

Logs should be here after the build fails
https://github.com/Mycobee/derivative-maker/actions/runs/2986664249

1 Like

There used to be an obscure but in kpartx that was probably not really cleanly fixed:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=734794

Could either be the same issue here or something similar. Whatever that might beā€¦

Can we automate rebooting the server? I am asking, because Iā€™d like to iterate faster here.

If I detect a stale mount and folder /home/ansible exists can I tell the build script just the reboot the server? Then I could do more builds in quick succession.

I would also temporarily change the build script to a simpler state that does not create a full build but just to quickly debug the mount issue.

If we are going to check for the stray mounts in the derivative-maker scripts, here is a solution I came up with to umount.

STRAY_MOUNT=$(df -h | grep 'ansible\/derivative-binary')

if [ -n "$STRAY_MOUNT" ]; then
  MOUNTED_FOLDER=$(echo $STRAY_MOUNT | awk '{print $6}')
  $SUDO_TO_ROOT umount -l $MOUNTED_FOLDER
fi
1 Like

Okay so now CI always reboot the VPS before running the derivative-maker build step. This should fix the issue with sudo losetup --all having a lingering loopback

I think mount steps above can fix the issue with the mounted volume, if necessary.

1 Like

With the reboot implemented, the same issue is occuring with the umount
https://github.com/Mycobee/derivative-maker/actions/runs/3018043263

I think the above solution I posted with the umount -l could potentially fix it

1 Like

If the build script and/or the CI scripts check for stray mounts, I guess is best if you decide.

The build script will check for stray mounts anyhow because non-CI builds should get a build error early when there is a stray mount. That test can stay independent from any potential test by the CI scripts.

The tests that I am currently using:

Usually a CI sets environment variable CI=true. And depending on that, the build script could perform some action it does not do outside of CI.

But if the build script is a clean place to say ā€œplease reboot the CIā€ that is highly questionable. Could be a rather unclean hack.

I guess -l, ā€“lazy wonā€™t help much here. The mount is probably staying forever until reboot.

Sure, if that works.

An additional test that would probably be useful in the CI scripts (similar to the test already in the build script):

losetup_output=$($SUDO_TO_ROOT losetup --all)

if [ "$losetup_output" = "" ]; then
      true "INFO: Output of losetup_output is empty. No stray loop devices, OK."
      return 0
   else
      error TODO bail out here and reboot CI server
   fi

That is probably ideal and better than what I said above.

Does it work for you if you run that command manually? I mean, the command will exit without error but will the mount point be unmounted indeed? If yes, Iā€™ll happily add it to the build script.
Actually, I might just try that now.

Yup

ansible@host:~$ df -h
Filesystem           Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                 974M     0  974M   0% /dev
tmpfs                199M  540K  198M   1% /run
/dev/vda1             50G   17G   31G  35% /
tmpfs                992M     0  992M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs                5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
/dev/vda15           124M  5.9M  118M   5% /boot/efi
/dev/mapper/loop0p1   98G  2.8G   91G   4% /home/ansible/derivative-binary/Whonix-Gateway-XFCE_image
tmpfs                199M     0  199M   0% /run/user/1001

ansible@host:~$ sudo umount -l /home/ansible/derivative-binary/Whonix-Gateway-XFCE_image

ansible@host:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            974M     0  974M   0% /dev
tmpfs           199M  540K  198M   1% /run
/dev/vda1        50G   17G   31G  35% /
tmpfs           992M     0  992M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
/dev/vda15      124M  5.9M  118M   5% /boot/efi
tmpfs           199M     0  199M   0% /run/user/1001
1 Like

I am very surprised a normal umount doesnā€™t work but umount with -l / --lazy works. Yeah, then that would mean thereā€™s some sort of bug in umount or some other low level tool or even the kernel.

Therefore Iā€™ve already rewritten for more defensive unmount.
derivative-maker/unmount-helper at master Ā· derivative-maker/derivative-maker Ā· GitHub

It also attempts umount --lazy.

Not yet tested but I guess thatā€™s what the CI is for.

yes it is :slight_smile:

Thanks !

1 Like

As for file automated_builder/tasks/create_vm.yml may I suggest keeping the actual clean and build commands out of the CI?

There are various CI scirpts in derivative-maker/help-steps at master Ā· Mycobee/derivative-maker Ā· GitHub (those starting with ci_) but these can probably all be deleted since nowadays defunct.

The help-steps folder however could be the place where we a short or several short scripts which contain the actual build command.

Or better, letā€™s add a ci sub folder in the derivative-maker repository where the small scripts that define the actual clean and build command reside?

Reason: if the mount continues to make issues, I would use simpler build commands to just focus on the mount issue in quicker iteration.

1 Like

The followingā€¦

- name: Build new gateway VM
  shell: "dist_build_non_interactive=true /home/ansible/derivative-maker/derivative-maker --flavor whonix-gateway-xfce --target virtualbox --build >> /home/ansible/build.log 2>&1"

Would stay mostly the same. Just it would do something like this:

shell: "/home/ansible/derivative-maker/derivative-maker/ci/build-gateway >> /home/ansible/build.log 2>&1"

(dist_build_non_interactive=true would be set within ci/build-gateway.)

1 Like

Yup I will do that :slight_smile:

1 Like
---
- name: Clean existing gateway VM
  shell: "dist_build_non_interactive=true /home/ansible/derivative-maker/derivative-maker --flavor whonix-gateway-xfce --target virtualbox --clean > /home/ansible/build.log 2>&1"

- name: Clean existing workstation VM
  shell: "dist_build_non_interactive=true /home/ansible/derivative-maker/derivative-maker --flavor whonix-workstation-xfce --target virtualbox --clean >> /home/ansible/build.log 2>&1"

- name: Reboot VPS for stray loop devices
  reboot:
    reboot_timeout: 60
  become: true

shell: "dist_build_non_interactive=true /home/ansible/derivative-maker/derivative-maker --flavor whonix-gateway-xfce --target virtualbox --build >> /home/ansible/build.log 2>&1"

- name: Build new workstation VM
  shell: "dist_build_non_interactive=true /home/ansible/derivative-maker/derivative-maker --flavor whonix-workstation-xfce --target virtualbox --build >> /home/ansible/build.log 2>&1"

Not sure it would be wise to combine all of them to a single script in ci folder?

Except - name: Reboot VPS for stray loop devices that might make more sense for the CI to take care of.

How about:

1. ansible calls script in ci folder to clean vms
  2. ansible reboots machine for loop devices
  3. ansible call script in ci folder to build vms

I agree that leaving reboot functionality in ansible is a good idea so ansible knows to expect connection to the machine to break during reboot

For longer term maintenance, I have a question.

Is there any way to speed up the builds to only run the relevant steps that have been affected in the code changes?

i.e. - Do we need to build ../monero-gui_0.18.1.0-1_all.deb when you only change a few things in the help steps or something?

Would be nice to have a ā€œlightā€ build or something for iterating more quickly. Currently it takes over 1.5 hours to build fresh workstation and gateway VMs. Iā€™d love it if we could make it where you have the ability to get feedback more quickly

I guess though when troubleshooting you can always just SSH in to the VPS and run the troublesome build step manually and see what is causing the problem. Just a thought though, I want this CI feature to make your life easier :man_shrugging:

1 Like

We have this thingy here: Whonix build script now optionally supports installing packages from Whonix remote repository rather than building packages locally

So just by addingā€¦

--remote-derivative-packages true

No packages should be built and all packages would be downloaded from the Whonix binary repository. It would skip all the lengthy package creation.

How does that sounds?

How often will we use --remote-derivative-packages true? Maybe for git commits, use it. For git tags, do it ā€œproperā€ and drop it?

Though, when using --remote-derivative-packages true we would not notice when package builds fail. But that isnā€™t very likely since if packages are updated, I need to build them locally anyhow.

Absolutely makes sense. In my previous build, a rookie mistake for forgetting $SUDO_TO_ROOT has lead to a failed build. Another 40 minutes to wait for me now until I can see if that is fixed now - unless I do a local build with local hacks which with the CI weā€™re trying to avoid.

Thatā€™s also why I suggested Derivative Maker Automated CI Builder - #74 by Patrick - because then I would hack the build command to a much simpler various to a point where only a minimal raw image gets created with even nothing useful inside just to test various mount / umount to quickly get that fixed.

1 Like

My latest commit fix Ā· derivative-maker/derivative-maker@03f6496 Ā· GitHub didnā€™t get picked up by the CI on https://github.com/Mycobee/derivative-maker/actions yet.

Last time that was faster, I think. I am not complaining about the speed. Just thinking if that commit got lost, not there yet, it will never come.

Maybe the automated CI reboots could leak to some commits overlooked by the CI?

This happened because I rebased and pushed pretty quickly after you commented, and didnā€™t give enough time for you to finish your stuff.

It isnā€™t an issue with CI or anything, simply me being a bit too trigger happy and pushing without rebasing 03f64961 yet

1 Like