[HOME] [DOWNLOAD] [DOCS] [NEWS] [SUPPORT] [TIPS] [ISSUES] [DONATE]

Continuous Integration (CI) / Travis CI

General info:

Status of CI and Whonix:

You’re lucky. By chance I just polished Whonix’s CI support over the weekend. Since you asked, I also updated the wiki. :slight_smile:

We’re using it for Whonix. Not private services in use yet. All on free public servers.

Due to the nature of Whonix as described in the wiki, Whonix’s benefit from CI services is still limited. Depends on what you want to do. It’s set up for Whonix/Whonix. But we could also set it up for individual packages. For example to build individual packages (for whatever that would be worth) or for running unit tests. It’s relatively simple. You need a few settings in the CI service (what commands you want to run) [some in web interface; others use simple config files you have to add to the repo]. And a github hook. Basically that’s it. [Generally, I prefer to keep the config files / hook scripts in languages I don’t often use (yaml) as short as possible and then let a suitable handler script take over, and find that simpler and more robust.]

Whonix Debian Package builds as well as minimal [–no-default-applications] --install-to-root both gateway and workstation CI builds are working. Full --install-to-root builds are still broken because of some dependency issues with Ubuntu. I didn’t want to spend too much time fixing those, but patches would be welcome.

[quote=“Patrick, post:1, topic:627”]General info:

Status of CI and Whonix:

You’re lucky. By chance I just polished Whonix’s CI support over the weekend. Since you asked, I also updated the wiki. :)[/quote]

This is awesome!!! Thanks for all the info.

We're using it for Whonix. Not private services in use yet. All on free public servers.

Due to the nature of Whonix as described in the wiki, Whonix’s benefit from CI services is still limited. Depends on what you want to do. It’s set up for Whonix/Whonix. But we could also set it up for individual packages. For example to build individual packages (for whatever that would be worth) or for running unit tests. It’s relatively simple. You need a few settings in the CI service (what commands you want to run) [some in web interface; others use simple config files you have to add to the repo]. And a github hook. Basically that’s it. [Generally, I prefer to keep the config files / hook scripts in languages I don’t often use (yaml) as short as possible and then let a suitable handler script take over, and find that simpler and more robust.]

I love yaml. I just finished writing YAMLScript a few months back that allows python code to be integrated into the yaml structure. It provides highly readable scripts which are very customization. Although its only use at the moment would be for Salt Stacks master and minion. This is what I am considering to use to be able to install Whonix on any platform. I am looking a building a parser to parse you Debian packages automatically and with that information I would be able to install and maintain updates from git directly by-passing any package manager. Salt is very powerful allowing you to configure many computers from a master if you wish or just self contained. It can watch files and replace them if they are modified, edit configurations files and about and administration or management items you can think of; even create Virtual Machines on the fly. Its also smart enough to install dependencies with whatever package manager you have or from git, pip, etc. Anyway… did I say I love yaml yet :slight_smile:

Whonix Debian Package builds as well as minimal [--no-default-applications] --install-to-root both gateway and workstation CI builds are working. Full --install-to-root builds are still broken because of some dependency issues with Ubuntu. I didn't want to spend too much time fixing those, but patches would be welcome.

Soon as I am done with Debian, I am starting a Ubuntu template so I may be able to help here. I prefer the interface and package management; although I am also use Ubuntu as my main platform for the Salt server I mentioned all so briefly above. Again I been holding off until new version of Qubes comes out cause if they have a separate admin and GUI VM’s I would prefer that over having to make Ubuntu into dom0.

[Imprint] [Privacy Policy] [Cookie Policy] [Terms of Use] [E-Sign Consent] [DMCA] [Investors] [Priority Support] [Professional Support]