Connecting to a bitcoin node

Hola Whonix forum

I run a hidden service using a whonix workstation and I would like my users to be able to deposit funds and purchase goods direct from my hidden service.

If I run a bitcoin node on a seperate whonix workstation on a remote machine located at my home would I be able to configure my hidden service to be able to connect to the node?

If that is not possible so instead I set up a bitcoin node on regular server and configure the bitcoin node to only use the tor network. Would my hidden service be able to connect to it his way? If so would it just be as simple as adding a ufw rule to allow the internal whonix ip to connect 10.152.152.10 or would I need to do something else?

Thanks in advance.

I waited to reply because I don’t know anything about running a bitcoin node and much less about running a bitcoin-based e-commerce platform.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. It sounds like you want to connect some type of bitcoin client running in whonix-ws-1 with a bitcoin node running in whonix-ws-2 via a hidden service. If so, how is that any different than connecting an ssh client to an ssh server, or web browser to web server?

Have you tried following the instructions here?
Onion Services - Whonix

Just make sure all the ports line up on client, hidden service, and node.

You should also set up Hidden Service Authentication:
Onion Services - Whonix

1 Like

You do know that you don’t necessarily have to run a full bitcoin-qt client / node just for receiving and sending bitcoin? One of the many thin clients like electrum might work for you. But since you want to use it in some sort of automated way, right? Then I can’t say, because I haven’t ever looked into using bitcoin from command line / using api.

Indeed I also don’t see any reason why various servers could not talk to each other. Authenticated Tor hidden services seems a good solution for that.

Also multiple Whonix-Workstations behind the same Whonix-Gateway are capable to communicate with each other.

• Non-Qubes-Whonix 13: works out of the box
  • Qubes-Whonix / Non-Qubes-Whonix 14: needs following instructions

Perhaps it also would make sense to use separate hot and cold wallets. Hot wallet on the server and cold wallet elsewhere.