Can't figure out how edit octet in "sudo nano"

When the command “sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces” is typed in Konsole in the VM Workstation (in VirtualBox) the following appears:

[QUOTE]##Loopback interface.
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

When using Virtual Machines (not Physical Isolation),

- eth0 is an internal, isolated, virtual network

- provided and only visible inside Virtual Machines

- solely used to communicate with the Gateway

- it has no access to the host.

- Thus, the following IP address can NOT cause conflicts

with your LAN network router.

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
##increment last octet of address
##on optional additional workstations.
address [IP address]
netmask [IP address]
gateway [IP address]

## out commented.
    ## For what do we require the network and broadcast
    ## instances anyway?
    #network [IP address]
    #broadcast [IP address][/QUOTE]

Is the [address [IP address]] the only one that should be modified? What about the netmask, gateway, network and broadcast IP addresses?

How do I edit the IP addresses that it gives me, for example changing the last octet? I typed “^G” to “get help” but nothing happened. There also other options (such as “^O” to “write out” – what does this mean?) which I don’t understand.

I basically do not know how to modify any of the information (IP addresses) it gives me. I have been able to change some of the numbers, but I don’t know how to save those changes.

Also, underneath the text I quoted above, when I type “sudo service networking restart” and press enter, nothing happens.

Good day,

I’m presuming you want to create your own Custom-Workstation, since you want to edit: /etc/network/interfaces We have a guide on that topic here: Anonymize Other Operating Systems in which everything, which needs to be modified in /etc/network/interfaces is explained in detail.

In regards to how to use the nano text editor, simply type in what’s necessary and when finished, press Control and X simultaneously, then press Y and Enter to safe the file. It’s pretty straight forward.

Have a nice day,

Ego

Learn GNU nano as per Whonix ™ - Anonymous Operating System or use a graphical editor such as kwrite.

kdesudo kwrite /path/to/file

IP is the only thing to be modified.