Can we create a next generation hidden services [onion v3]

Hi everyone waves

I want to host a hidden service forum using whonix for added security, however earlier I was reading the tor project blogs and I came across next generation hidden services

It says we just update the torrc file with this

SocksPort auto

HiddenServiceDir /home/user/tmp/hsv3
HiddenServiceVersion 3
HiddenServicePort 6667 127.0.0.1:6667

SafeLogging 0
Log notice stdout
Log notice file /home/user/tmp/hs/hs.log

Will this work on whonix? If no, will it work with whonix 14?

Good day,

Should work no problem, Whonix does not make modifications to Tor itself for a host of reasons. However, please mind the bugs: The Tor Project / Organization · GitLab

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Not by default. v3 onions require Tor 0.3.2 or higher (which is currently in alpha-testing). The latest stable series (included in Whonix 13 & 14) is 0.3.1. If you want to test, you can install the experimental version from Tor Project’s repo: How can we help? | Tor Project | Support

2 Likes

Would I need to install tor alpha on both gateway and workstation?

I must also note this is not going to be a live forum anymore now due to this version of tor is still alpha state, It will be tested on my home machine only.

Thanks in advance.

Gateway only. Workstation tor is skipped over by anon-ws-disable-stacked-tor package.

v3 onions are a big deal in the evolution of Tor. Would be great if you could test and report back. You may be the first - so no guarantees that it’ll even work.

1 Like

I’ve got no work tomorrow, I’m going to test it then and report back.

2 Likes