Asking some questions , about qubes for good selection

i have some questions would like to ask for more info to get , hope im not annoying u :smiley:

A- is there a comparison/differences regarding the security when using:-

1- Qubes os => whonix os

2- host (linux os) => KVM => whonix os

3- host (windows os) => virtualbox => whonix os

is there an tested comparison table regarding leaks and advantages to the above points? , like for e.g similar comparison of whonix and tails and other anonymity operating systems? (even if its theoretical).if no , why do u think Qubes is more useful to be used instead of the 2,3 method?

B- did anyone pentested Qubes for vulnerabilities ? like DNS leak and malicious attack…etc. if yes , is there a table for the tests that have been tested on Qubes OS ? if no,is it a work on idea which is in process?

C- is Qubes OS encrypting the hard drive ? if yes , which algorithm of the encryption is using ?

D- why not Qubes OS coming with whonix OS already configured/installed inside it ? if its a bad idea, can u list some reasons if that possible?

E- do u need any help in Qubes OS ? like for e.g testers and developers and crackers…etc? if yes, can u list ur needs?

thnx for ur patient with my Questions , i know it might be long, hope u take them with magnanimously feelings :wink: .

Hi. No problem. :smiley:

[quote=“nurmagoz, post:1, topic:997”]A- is there a comparison/differences regarding the security when using:-

1- Qubes os => whonix os

2- host (linux os) => KVM => whonix os

3- host (windows os) => virtualbox => whonix os

is there an tested comparison table regarding leaks and advantages to the above points? , like for e.g similar comparison of whonix and tails and other anonymity operating systems? (even if its theoretical).if no , why do u think Qubes is more useful to be used instead of the 2,3 method?[/quote]

There is no security comparison table as far as I am aware of.

But having looked into this, there is a clear night and day difference between all of these.

I personally would never go back to using option 2 or 3.

Very basic summary:

1. WORST = Never trust Windows. And VirtualBox is not known for security.
    1. BETTER = Open source. Kernel level integration.
    1. BEST = Designed for real security. Isolated non-monolithic architecture. Hardware enforced isolation. Smallish Xen hypervisor.

Some more Qubes security info at these places:

The arch spec pdf document does talk about security considerations of Xen vs KVM.

Not that I know of. Although, I’m sure a number of users and Qubes devs have done their own personal testing.

With updates, software is always changing anyway, so one day’s tests could be invalidated the next day.

Yes, recommended, you have the option in the installer to do full disk encryption with Qubes.

I forget which algorithms are available. Two different ones.

This is under future consideration by the Qubes developers. Qubes + Whonix is still a relatively young project. Just not there yet. But the Qubes team has expressed such potential ideas for the future.

Yes, more help is welcome and needed.

Development help probably has the most impact.

Everyone is always free to test and post their findings.

There are a number of critical low-level systems issues that I’d like to see worked on that we don’t have the support for.

There’s been other ad-hoc discussions on this forum about implementing the Whonix Qubes high-level code in more straightforward ways.

VM entropy needs to be verified and worked on.

General code maintenance of keeping things up to date and bug fixes as they come up.

Others, @Patrick and @nrgaway could probably list some more things.

Some stuff is in our tracker: https://www.whonix.org/tracker/Qubes

If you’d like to jump in and help, then I’d recommend starting a new thread about this, outlining what capabilities you can contribute, and we could further address specific plans and suggestions.

You are welcome. :smiley:

There is no security comparison table as far as I am aware of.

But having looked into this, there is a clear night and day difference between all of these.

I personally would never go back to using option 2 or 3.

Very basic summary:

1. WORST = Never trust Windows. And VirtualBox is not known for security.
    1. BETTER = Open source. Kernel level integration.
    1. BEST = Designed for real security. Isolated non-monolithic architecture. Hardware enforced isolation. Smallish Xen hypervisor.

true, well known reasons

Some more Qubes security info at these places:

The arch spec pdf document does talk about security considerations of Xen vs KVM.

i liked this pdf book:- Qubes OS Architecture

but this pdf book:- Qubes OS R2Tutorial => its explaining how the functionality of qubes going on,but it doesnt show the tutorial of installation step by step. (which is i think its needed for newbies users since the OS is for public use not devs only)

Yes, recommended, you have the option in the installer to do full disk encryption with Qubes.

I forget which algorithms are available. Two different ones.

u mean 192-bit AES, and 256-bit AES?

If you'd like to jump in and help, then I'd recommend starting a new thread about this, outlining what capabilities you can contribute, and we could further address specific plans and suggestions.

yes sure i would like to, but not at the moment because im busy with graduation project and stuff to do till i finish my univ. when i will join for help , i would like to join it for daily availability or doing things faster with clear work only for this purpose/help. not complicating the things and might be in the end i will not give something really useful because of lack of time or tiredness …etc.

btw im trying qubes OS on my old laptop (i will give the feed back of my trail). but i would like to ask u , would u like that i make video tutorial on how to install Qubes OS and other stuffs to do after installation ? (like for e.g how to install whonix in it). or i should give a little patient to a new release of the qubes OS version so its good and more stable …etc than this one ?

note*:- im searching and gathering some of IT developers which they have interest in these things , so what u have mentioned im doing my best to give some attentions to these projects which i hope these devs get interest in joining here.

Not sure if this was what you’re looking for:

No, different than bit-length, like AES and another different algorithm. Escaping me. Shows it in the installer, I believe.

Sounds good.

I might be interested in using such a video, if you were to contribute it. Just depends on how it turns out, I guess. Up to you on if you want to do it. But I would certainly take a look at it and maybe use it with your permission.

Certainly an issue with install videos is that they do become out of date when things change. Qubes version will change. Whonix install commands and procedure will probably change some.

Might be more lasting to make videos based on fundamentals of configuration and using Whonix on top of Qubes, instead of just installing. Install videos may quickly become stale.

Great. I hope you succeed with these recruiting efforts. :smiley: