Apt-get update broken

This happened after an apt-get dist-upgrade. If I try to run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade I get the same error as the one below.

user@host:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for user:
/usr/bin/apt-get: line 107: uwtport: bad array subscript
/usr/bin/apt-get: line 109: timeprivacy: bad array subscript
/usr/bin/apt-get: line 145: uwtwrapper: bad array subscript
apt-get uwt wrapper ERROR: .whonix-orig does not exist.

Tried to google briefly but couldn’t really find anything definitive. Any ideas?

Updating from Whonix 7 to Whonix 8 is not supported.

You only get this error in Whonix 7, if you ignored the following warning.

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!

Recommended against. See:

You know that’s the third time in the last 6 months that apt-get upgrade breaks whonix… and you won’t be able to blame this on us users.

I did did reinstall a clean Whonix 7 today and tried from scratch.

When doing a sudo apt-get update, you get the NO_PUBKEY Error message.

When doing a sudo apt-get upgrade from this state, you indeed get a warning of packages which are not authenticable. However You cannot update the System at all in this state. After saying no to install these, it gets a

E: some packages could not be authenticated

So I did install the PUBKEY CB8D50BB77BB3C46

That was already necessary since months, that was the last time Whonix broke the system.

After that no warning is coming anymore and it goes straight to install Whonix 8 over it.

This sucks big time.

This will be now so much fun to move 500GB from this broken OS to a new Whonix 8…

Seriously are we supposed to not use apt-get update anymore? Is whonix that unstable?

Everytime I fear that something breaks and I need to use hours to fix the broken installation.

While you emphasize the ease of use with the GUI you are breaking usability on a much lower level.

Please make sure that in the future there is a clean update path. A warning somewhere hidden in the wiki is not enough.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Updating from Whonix 7 to Whonix 8 is not supported.

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!

Recommended against. See:

It has never been promised, that updates from one major version to another version will be possible. This hasn’t to do anything with the GUI. Rather, it has to do with the change of the base operating system from Debian testing to Debian stable. Hopefully it will be possible for updates from Whonix 8 to Whonix 8 + 1. No promises can be made either.

@whodam
I understand your frustration. Let me try to lighten it up though. There are actually two reasons for this.

1. adrelanos/Patrick officially announced his real identity in January 2014 and a new signing key has been created. As the Whonix stable repository is now serving Whonix 8 packages, it complains about a wrong pubkey when trying to upgrade Whonix 7 (which you shouldn’t use any longer anyway).

2. The much bigger problem was a decision to base Whonix 7 on Debian testing (Jessie) which is kind of a rolling release version of Debian (semi rolling actually). Whonix 8 is based on Debian stable (Wheezy). While I didn’t support the decision for exactly the hassles you encounter, Patrick had some valid reasons to do this. First and foremost to serve Whonix users an updated Tor 0.24-branch. Wheezy was serving Tor 0.23 at that time and we’ve seen some jerks abusing the Tor network for a large-scale botnet.

That said, with Whonx 8 out the door, we have a (very right) change back to Debian stable and that destroys the possibility of a clean update path here. You’re pulling (according to the image you linked) the Whonix stable repository and that’s serving Whonix 8 packages from now on, Whonix 7 is no longer a supported version.

Fortunately, as of the migration issue, our own community member tempest came up with a pretty good solution here, described at File Transfer - Whonix - that is: as good as it gets without Guest additions.

Sorry for any (unavoidable - at this point) inconveniences and thanks for using Whonix OS.

EDIT: I see, Patrick beat me by the minute in answering (again).
@Patrick
You’re just too fast :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes the upgrade path was unavoidable this time. However thats not what I am complaining about.

NO. This is not true. Please go to the Pastebin and show me the line … I pasted the whole process. And it feels now a little condescending to answer with the exact same statement as you did in the post before. My post was to point out that you can end up in that state without a Warning at all.

I added the correct key months ago because of the new key problem which prevents from apt-get upgrade and I used a Whonix 7 from scratch without any changes beside the add of the new key by Patrick. Without that key an apt-get update is not possible at all, despite what you said in that thread ( Whonix Forum ) . Whonix 8 was released a few days ago, and I don’t even need support for Whonix 7 but I can at least expect that an update WITHOUT a Warning does not self-destruct my installation.

If a system makes breaking changes you make at least sure that it does not break the old installations. And that is exactly what happened.

THERE WAS NO WARNING! Why do I have the stable repository in my whonix 7 installation anyway? next point

ou're pulling (according to the image you linked) the Whonix stable repository and that's serving Whonix 8 packages from now on, Whonix 7 is no longer a supported version.

Well if that is the case, the Problem is with the clean version of Whonix 7, because I created the VM today from scratch and did not change anything besides the add of the new key.

Whonix 7 is no longer a supported version.

Fine, but at least don’t break it beyond repair. Even though it is a bit unfair to stop support immediately after the release of a new version, especially one without any upgrade path!

I did a thorough test before posting my results. So before answering again, please try it yourself with a clean Whonix 7. TY

BTW: Whonix 8 is not available on the mirror for some reason.

I don’t remember we ever had documentation that recommended to ask to add my new key to Whonix 7 using apt-key.

Without that key an apt-get update is not possible at all, despite what you said in that thread ( https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,10.0.html ) .
In this case, it would have been better to raise this instead of just adding the key.
but I can at least expect that an update WITHOUT a Warning does not self-destruct my installation.
Sure. Sorry if that failed.
Even though it is a bit unfair to stop support immediately after the release of a new version, especially one without any upgrade path!
With the founding and manpower available, the kind of quality you're asking for cannot be provided. Whonix isn't as mainstream as Ubuntu, Fedora or Redhat who can afford to maintain multiple versions over transitional periods.
BTW: Whonix 8 is not available on the mirror for some reason.
Thanks for reporting. I contacted the mirror. I guess we need to fall back to sourceforge as soon as one mirror is broken. DNS changes (we're using round robin) take too long to propagate.
Whonix 8 was released a few days ago, and I don't even need support for Whonix 7 but I can at least expect that an update WITHOUT a Warning does not self-destruct my installation.
I get your point here. You have to understand the Whonix repository structure here. We have "stable", "testers" and "experimental" branches. "experimental" is for Patrick and other "crazy people" (not for a user), "testers" is for testing Whonix_current+1 (was Whonix 8 ), "stable" is Whonix_current (was Whonix 7, is now Whonix 8 ). Now, if you want to continue using Whonix 7 (which is recommended against) without pulling Whonix 8 packages, you just need to disable the Whonix repository and you can continue pulling updates from Debian Jessie. We just do not support Whonix 7 anymore, i.e. supply it with updates as it is obsolete.
THERE WAS NO WARNING! Why do I have the stable repository in my whonix 7 installation anyway? next point
We try to do better here with future updates. Again, sorry for any inconveniences. If you're interested, you're welcome to actively monitor our development or even contribute to it and actively shape/influence Whonix OS.
Well if that is the case, the Problem is with the clean version of Whonix 7, because I created the VM today from scratch and did not change anything besides the add of the new key.
Afaik, Whonix repository was enabled by default with Whonix 7. We decided to change this and let the user (more) actively decide with Whonix 8. As your apt is configured to pull from "stable" which no longer is Whonix 7 but 8, you ran into the upgrade issue you're complaining about.
Fine, but at least don't break it beyond repair. Even though it is a bit unfair to stop support immediately after the release of a new version, especially one without any upgrade path!
Thanks for the suggestion. I commented on the upgrade path already: Jessie vs Wheezy. As of stopping support, we develop on a straight path (if I may put it that way), Whonix scripts get improved and integrated into a vanilla Debian. You're free to continue using obsolete versions, you just need to stop pulling packages from "stable" repository as soon as your_Whonix+1 (this applies to this very specific update from 7 to 8 due to Wheezy VS Jessie) is released.

Do you need any support to get migrated to Whonix 8? Let us know!

EDIT: lol, again beaten by the minute. I’m trying!

In this case, it would have been better to raise this instead of just adding the key.[/quote]

You see, Emma had proposed a fix which was working. So for me the problem was solved. why complain about something which was fixed with a suggestion in your forum.

Your answer wasn’t too clear about it. You expected it should work without it, I could have reported that it wasn’t. And I am really curious how everyone else was able to update. Maybe they removed the Whonix repositories. But I wasn’t that clever. Sure I could have reported that it is not working as you expect, I will in the future.

Now, if you want to continue using Whonix 7 (which is recommended against) without pulling Whonix 8 packages, you just need to disable the Whonix repository and you can continue pulling updates from Debian Jessie. We just do not support Whonix 7 anymore, i.e. supply it with updates as it is obsolete.

If that setup was fine 4 weeks ago, it will be fine for a few more. That was the kind of answer I was looking for. However for me it is too late. While I could fix the gateway, I also broke the workstation, which is a hassle to fix either way. So better I move to Whonix 8 sooner.

Question is: can I run both whonix versions together for the migration, or is the virtual network giving me problem that way?

Nevermind the time. You’re raising different points and your answers have value.

[quote=“whodam, post:9, topic:119”][quote author=Patrick link=topic=110.msg851#msg851 date=1394036560]

In this case, it would have been better to raise this instead of just adding the key.
[/quote]

You see, Emma had proposed a fix which was working. So for me the problem was solved. why complain about something which was fixed with a suggestion in your forum.

Your answer wasn’t too clear about it. You expected it should work without it, I could have reported that it wasn’t.[/quote]
I see. I should have answered to Emma “don’t touch the keys until told in documentation, doing this method is unsafe anyway (no key verification)”.

The other question is how good an idea it is to follow suggestions made in a forum. A forum is good for discussions which may lead to improved documentation, code, bug fixes, finding related documentation or just enjoyment discussing off-topic. However, the authoritative source on what is recommended should be the homepage (our wiki). I am not saying, you should never do what someone says in a forum. If I did that, Whonix wouldn’t exist. Depending on how much the advise concerns security, you must make an educated decision. We’re saying this to some degree already (Free Support for Whonix).

Question is: can I run both whonix versions together for the migration, or is the virtual network giving me problem that way?
The following applies: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Multiple_Whonix-Workstations

This time Whonix 7 / 8 gateway/workstation seem to be compatible. Although less tested. Whonix 8 / 8 + 1 may not be compatible (without undocumented changes), since we’re current discussing to change Whonix-Gateway’s internal LAN IP to a better one.

Great, thank you.

All that said, great project, and I know the user and developer view differ often. Especially on things which seem obvious to you.

Will further use whonix, and point out problems earlier.

TY for all your hard work, it is much appreciated.