Anon connection wizard

If I clone few Whonix Gateway. And then use on every of them anon connection wizard to get obfs4 it will generate same bridges for every of Whonix Gateway or random ?

And second question: How often I should change bridges ?

acw has the bridges and it doesnt regenerate things from outside because there is no connection in the first place. so these bridges r just there by default and for sure u can add ur own manual bridges.so cloning gw doesnt give u new bridges rather than the already existed one.

changing bridges as technical answer please ask Tor Project, as general answer its fine to use the same bridges which are working for u. because ur middle and exit nodes will always going to be change and the bridge which is going to be the first node its very normal to use it as the same node.

2 Likes

@nurmagoz:

acw has the bridges and it doesnt regenerate things from outside because there is no connection in the first place.

Right.

In theory we could have a big list of built-in bridges and choose them
randomly on run of ACW. In practice we use the same list of built-in
bridges like TBB. ACW mimics TBB connection wizard.

Would be good if we had our own built-in bridges but we don’t have
resources to host them. It’s also a legal mess if Whonix hosts software
and at the same time servers. So a known trusted Tor community member
with long term commitment would have to host them.

2 Likes

I am not quiet sure why it would be good? Is it because the service can be faster since only Whonix user use it?

But won’t it make anyone who connects to that set of bridges being identified as a Whonix user from a large number of Tor user?

That’s interesting. Could you please explain a little bit more on this? :slight_smile:

iry:

I am not quiet sure why it would be good?

Roger causally suggested it to me years ago. The rationale was: Tor
Project built-in bridges may be censored, Whonix built-in bridges may be
overlooked.

Is it because the service can be faster since only Whonix user use it?

No.

But won’t it make anyone who connects to that set of bridges being identified as a Whonix user from a large number of Tor user?

Indeed. Good reason to scratch that idea.

That’s interesting. Could you please explain a little bit more on this? :slight_smile:

That’s what Tor Project does / does not. They provide software but they
leave running the infrastructure to the community. Prudent to imitate
that. They also mentioned that somewhere but I don’t remember where.
There has been legal trouble for hosting Tor infrastructure (Tor exit
relays only as far as I know) but no legal trouble for the software yet
as far as I know.

That’s true! I remember people on the tor-dev@ told me it took a long time for orbot to be blocked because the censor didn’t realize orbot was using a different set of obfs4 bridges from TBB’s.

1 Like