Whonix gateway freezing

i have faced gw in kvm fresh installing freezing , whonix 11. and i think i know how to reproduce it.

after installing the gw and the ws (by just making them appeared inside the kvm) , open the gw and keep it open till it finish the installation then make apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. (all that without opening the ws)

now open the ws then wait till it finish. then make sudo apt-get update, then go to the gw = nothing is moving and it cant be shutdown except by “force shutdown”.

it is not persistent tho , after the shutdown both of them. they gonna start after that working normally.

I ran into something similar before but I need you to confirm. After typing something in the gateway terminal the screen appears static and no longer responsive but terminating (using a process manager) and restarting virt-manager allows reconnecting to the VM display and everything is responsive again.

This points to the need for the qxl tweak/fix but unfortunately my pull request was causing problems and didn’t make it into master.

oh i c , well no problem since its working fine after restarting them.

There’s a problem but I need to know if its the same one.

I ran into something similar before but I need you to confirm. After typing something in the gateway terminal the screen appears static and no longer responsive but terminating (using a process manager) and restarting virt-manager allows reconnecting to the VM display and everything is responsive again.

yeah it is the same one that i have faced.

still happening in whonix 12

i was install latest whonix inside kvm on latest debian stable , all done exactly by the guide on whonix site , gateway freezes perodicaly and that resolve after update and upgrade on guests and host , but i am not sure what causes the freezing because i was use and some other ways , that was to install on guests the amd64 kernels , to increase ram on virt-manager , and to change the type of cpu on virt-manager , anyway after the freezing resolve , i am sory i cant say what from all thats causes the freezing , later i test the whonix kvm on fedora 21 host with not at all freezings , on fedora 21 it is more stable ,

Good day,

are you sure all the settings (especially the amount of assigned RAM) where identical between Debian and Fedora? I am aware of the fact that, as KVM is developed quite closely to Fedora, it has always run a bit better on there, though this usually doesn’t give you more than a percent in most performance tests…

Have a nice day,

Ego

the problem is with whonix-gw , not with kvm or fedora.

Is it the same as this issue [VirtualBox] gateway & workstation freezing during inactivity - #17 by ixohni ?

no, it is different.

the freezing in GW + KVM just at the first installation.

not similar to the subject mentioned in Vbox.

After days work with fedora 21 (updated) kvm was periodicaly freezing , that because i was change the virt-manager cpu settings to copy cpu host configuration and virtiodisk performance cache mode to writethrough , then after i change the cpu to hypervisor default and cache mode to default , kvm become very stable , now i run whonix for hours\days without ever freeze.

1 Like

maybe this is our problem solvent with current whonix-kvm freezing?

@HulaHoop and @Patrick should check this.

And again fedora 21 freezing periodically What can i say, maby is the updates need in guests , i have the latest whonix with update and upgrade once , maby need again,or ma by is the desktop environment of host , i use xfce4 there , i don’t know , but become very undesirable lately , must force off all the time

i was getting the same thing to the KVM from the GW as well. maybe it has relation?

https://forums.whonix.org/t/gw-freezing-killing-the-kvm/1872

Please compare with a Debian jessie KDE VM.

SOLVED! THE SOLUSION FIND AT LAST!

after freezing the guests , i logout from host desktop environment (i am using xfce4 in fedora21),
{without force off the guests from virt-manager} , then i login back , and the guests are unfreezed!
so in fact not freezing the kvm-qemu nor libvirt

Yes , is the display manager in xfce4 the reason (lightdm) , because after i try to run as ususaly the dolphin in my host with kdesu nothing hapens -not run , and with just sudo was start normaly , Probably if i will install a diferent disply manager and i run it , then that will solve it , like gdm or kdm .

the problem is i have faced this issue inside Debian+KDE , so im not sure if this solution going to solve the whole or actual problem of the freezing.

So , debian+kde freezing, xfce+lightdm freezing , now i run xfce+lxdm and i will test it , whatever the result i will post it here , i will test it for 1-3 days for sure , if will freezing again i will install the gnome3 desktop environment with gdm display manager , at the end maby is the desktop environment combined with the display manager , will see.

1 Like