Whonix AppVM fails to start after update

This may be Qubes specific but thought to ask here first as the failure to start occurred immediately after updating whonix-ws and -gw.

System is Qubes 3.1 with Whonix 13.

When starting the Whonix AppVM, the state remains yellow (sometimes will turn green for a second or so before returning to yellow) and no applications will run.
This only happens in one specific Whonix AppVM. Other Whonix AppVM’s function as expected.

Some errors in the var/log/console/guest-whonix.log as follows.

[ 5.214238] EXT4-fs (xvdb): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
[ 5.214624] EXT4-fs (xvdb): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: discard
[ 5.221787] EXT4-fs warning (device xvdb): ext4_resize_begin:44: There are errors in the filesystem, so online resizing is not allowed
[ 5.221787]

[ 6.930620] EXT4-fs error (device xvdb): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:757: group 1, block bitmap and bg descriptor inconsistent: 10561 vs 10563 free clusters

[ 7.371456] JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = xvdb, blocknr = 0). There’s a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.

I can delete this VM without losing much but am curious as to what caused this?

Do we have a ticket for this one already? @marmarek

eujan1:

When starting the Whonix AppVM, the state remains yellow (sometimes will turn green for a second or so before returning to yellow) and no applications will run.

That’s a good issue description. Every now and then happens for me also.
No idea how to reproduce.

If you or anyone has some suggestions how to reliably always reproduce
this situation, please share it here so this bug can be fixed.

We do now. :slight_smile:

This situation is reproducible every time I attempt to start the particular affected Whonix AppVM although I have no idea why. If I can provide some particular logs that may be helpful, let me know and I’ll try to do so.

I have saved the affected VM which continues to reliably not function (yellow state) and can provide logs if requested. Please let me know if this might help fix the bug. I’ll keep it for another week or so.

1 Like

Any debug output that would be useful for you? @marmarek

Is this still an issue with Qubes-Whonix 14 on Qubes R4?

I am asking, so we can close Whonix-Workstation AppVMs sometimes get stuck at yellow when starting · Issue #2334 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub.