Tor Messenger on Whonix

Will the new Tor Messenger beta play well with Whonix? Tor Messenger Beta: Chat over Tor, Easily | The Tor Project
Are there plans to integrate this into Whonix? I’m guessing we will have to wait until it’s out of beta for that. Until then, are there reccomended settings? I tried it on Windows and it installed a Tor client.

Good day,

I haven’t tried it yet, though if I’d have to guess, I would say that, to prevent Tor-Over-Tor, the same, which needs to be done when using the TBB in a custom workstation, is necessary here. Maybe try this, though I can’t guarantee anything: WebBrowsers · Wiki · Legacy / Trac · GitLab

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Manual install.

In Tor Messenger case… No worry about Tor over Tor. [Because it’s also tor-launcher based.] [Because Tor Messenger has been thought ahead at Whonix development earlier.) (Similar to Tor Browser Essentials)

Instructions similar to Tor Browser: Manual Download. Download. Verify. Extract. Start. Done.

Contribute.

Would anyone like to formalize these instructions in the wiki?

Also Tor Browser: Manual Download mostly doesn’t really fit there.

Install by default.

For now there are no plans to install it by default. Hopefully it will be installable from official Debian repositories soon. Otherwise installing software outside of apt-get by default is problematic. Difficult to keep updated while preserving user settings. Once installable official Debian repositories, installation by default should be a piece of cake.

1 Like

For reference only, this was the development ticket btw:

Tor Messenger Support
https://phabricator.whonix.org/T107
1 Like

Instructions added to the wiki. Please test and leave feedback.

1 Like

Tor Messager would be an obvious fit for Whonix. Is there any place/one in TPO or Debian we can annoy to get an apt-get package?

Component, Tor Messenger.

1 Like

Created a ticket at The Tor Project’s tracker.

make a deb of Tor Messenger and get into Debian
Make a deb of Tor Messenger and get into Debian (#18449) · Issues · Legacy / Trac · GitLab

1 Like

OMEMO proposed for Tor Messenger. This comment mentions most of the libre chat clients implementing it:

Tor Messenger FTW!

1 Like

Instant Messenger Chat instructions are working.

1 Like

how to change language in the tor messenger?

Tor Project has only released English binaries so far. If you want other languages, you have to build it yourself.

1 Like

developers warn that the use of beta version is unsafe. Is it so? if so, what it is best to install Jabber client and a Jabber server you think is the most anonymous stable and meets all the conditions of anonymity?

That’s just a general disclaimer. No I would take Tor Messenger in beta or alpha even over Jabber which is just a massive RCE bug running on your system.

I use instant tor messengers in setting a priority to me priority to me to specify? and there are port number 5222. it should be changed for 9051? or let it stay? I use qubes-whonix

Already stream isolated. No changes required. (Just now added to documentation here:
Stream Isolation)

how to hide data about the use of the tor messenger before the interlocutor,with whom I communicate through the Internet

Good day,

Are you attempting to hide the fact you use Tor from your ISP? In that case, I’d take a look at this: Hide Tor use from the Internet Service Provider

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Or maybe you meant this?

Whonix ™ and Tor Limitations

I did not mean it. I want that other person did not see that I am using the tor messenger. He hovers over my icon and see which im client I use. how to hide this fact?