Tor Browser auto resize feature functional in Qubes?

Please help test this!

I was going to write a bug report against Qubes. Whonix is not involved in this issue. But after more testing, I am not sure it’s just my screen or if really something is wrong. You’ll see in the draft bug report I wrote below what this issue might be.

To contribute to this thread, you need to be capable for comparing the behavior of Tor Browser,

• a) on a non-Qubes, plain Linux (Debian) [jessie] vs
  • b) in a Qubes Debian template.

Steps to reproduce:

Expected result:
Tor Browser’s auto resizing feature should always automatically re-adjust the window size to are more appropriate size. The same way it would happen on a non-Qubes, plain Debian [jessie] operating system.

Actual result:
Tor Browser’s auto resizing feature is broken. […]

I am not sure it's just my screen or if really something is wrong. You'll see in the draft bug report I wrote below what this issue might be.

not just yours , happened with me also. also tested the size of the screen in ip-checkout and it was changing 1000 to 1942 …etc when i play with screen size. so this is happening with me and im using qubes Q3 and Whonix 11 and Tor browser 5.0.3.

Tor Browser's auto resizing feature is broken. [...]

or not even sensing that the page is getting resized.

• need to use 5.5a3
  • ip-check.info might be broken, best to avoid, see Browser Tests - Whonix
  • requires comparison plain Debian vs Qubes Debian template
  • not sure we are talking past each other here. The “page” does not resize. When the browser is resized by the user by using the computer mouse, the Tor Browser window reacts… Or not… Or different. This is what this is about.
- need to use 5.5a3

ok that something i have missed

- ip-check.info might be broken, best to avoid

didnt knew just now. ok i will

- requires comparison plain Debian vs Qubes Debian template

kinda new on qubes envierment but i will try my best.

- not sure we are talking past each other here. The "page" does not resize. When the browser is resized by the user by using the computer mouse, the Tor Browser window reacts... Or not... Or different. This is what this is about.

when i click on maximizing the page or just playing witha page borders by mouse = it shows no message from the Tor browser

whereas, Tor browser was always showing the orange message (in plain linux or windows) which is saying that i should not maximize the page.

yeah 5.5a4 doesnt tell u that u have resized ur browser.just 5.0.4 telling u that.

in qubes neither this nor that.

btw this problem is still happening with TBB inside Whonix-Qubes in all versions of TBB stable and/or alpha.

is this ok ?

I just upgraded to 5.5 and Tor as stopped telling me my Window is resized. I don’t know if this is an intended change in Tor generally or related to Qubes.

Good day,

the whole point of this thread was to discuss your specific problem.

Have a nice day,

Ego

not sure if its necessary anymore to care if ur window is in full screen or not.

Good day,

you are right, totally forgoth that the TBB does obscure the resolution now.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

When I maximize TBB in a Qubes Debian template, I see some grayed out area at the bottom and right side of the browser window. (*)

What happens if you run TBB on a plain Debian jessie computer - i.e. NOT in Qubes? Does it look the same? Are there also grayed out areas at the bottom and right side of the browser window?

(Ideally someone would be dual booting Qubes and Debian on the same hardware. Then compare what browser resolution was detected at browser test sites.)

(*) Most likely it’s fine and used to put more users in similar groups of desktop resolutions.

which TBB version? please give us more details about ur problem so we can help u… no im just kidding.

but seriously i dont have this (*) . i have checked it inside TBB 6.0a1-hardened and TBB 6.0a1 nothing in the right down corner

this is from TBB 6.0a1-hardened maximized inside Qubes.

You have the grayed out area also. There is some space between the right scroll bar and the end of the window. And on the bottom there is also a gray area before the window ends. Compare this with another browser such as iceweasel and you will not have these grayed out areas. That’s why I mean and that’s what I also get in Qubes.

Now when we are on the same page here…

Does the very same happen with TBB in non-Qubes(!) Debian jessie?

Good day,

Not for me, when running the Workstation via VBox, though I have to manually adjust the size of the window and use fullscreen-mode.

Have a nice day,

Ego

Whonix is not a valid comparison target in this topic. It is intentionally a comparison non-Qubes plain Debien jessie vs Qubes Debian template. The only way to figure out for sure if there is some Qubes specific issue here.

going to report this from a plain debian tomorrow because i have upgraded my old pc from 150 GB HDD to 500 GB HDD , and from 4 GB ram to 10 GB ram so im just installing the entire debian OS again so updates/upgrades and installing initial programs will take sometime from me.

tested TBB version 5.5 = the message still there.

so that means Qubes masking or bugging the message of TBB inside qubes-debian & qubes-whonix (Qubes - TBB specific issue)

just outside note:

anyone who has lenovo X201 = it doesnt allow u to upgrade the RAMs , u have to stick to 4 GB and forever…

In other words TBB version 5.5:

• plain Debaian jessie (non-Qubes!): shows “really maximize?” message
  • Qubes Debian jessie template: does not show “really maximize” message
    ?

yes exactly

TBB inside plain Debian = there is a warning message when u maximize the window

TBB inside Qubes (debian,whonix,fedora…etc) = there is No warning message when u maximize the window

Thanks a lot for testing that out!

@nurmagoz:

yes exactly

TBB inside plain Debian = there is a warning message when u maximize the window

TBB inside Qubes (debian,whonix,fedora…etc) = there is No warning message when u maximize the window

A Qubes bug then.

@marmarek any idea?