TBB alpha + Firejail breaks

using firejail + TBB 8.0a10 will break Tor browser:

steps to produce:

install firejail + TBB alpha then run:

firejail torbrowser

Not sure though which upstream should fix that , is it firejail or Torproject?

• I opened ticket inside Trac Torproject:
3 Likes

upstream said firejail profiles been fixed , but you only can get it through backported version.

Edited: Backported version only for the new FF. TBB you can only download them manually.

1 Like

FireJail now works fine with stable debian TBB , But to work in whonix properly it needs a pull request with specific whonix-tbb profiles.

What would be the Whonix specific part of those profiles? I tested it not too long ago and it worked fine.

Maybe because we use different location for TBB to operate inside whonix? I dunno , but you can check the log and see.

I use the folder under /home/user/.tb
Did you try to use the browser specific profile and not the default one as suggested on github? I think I used the start-tor-browser.profile.

1 Like

what is the command have u used?

You can follow the documentation. Its fairly straight forward. You don’t have to build custom profiles just add the profile to ~/.config/firejail/name_of_package.profile

Then

cd ~/.config/firejail

Run

firejail name_of_package.profile

Note: Make sure name_of_package.profile is the same name as the software you are using.

https://firejail.wordpress.com/documentation-2/building-custom-profiles/

I used firejail --profile=/etc/firejail/start-tor-browser.profile /home/user/.tb/tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser
I also did not have much luck with the other profiles or with using “torbrowser” instead of /home/user/.tb/tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser

2 Likes