Should still recommend against maximizing Tor Browser window?

We recommend that here:
Tor Browser Essentials

Original reason:
Prompt if Tor Browser is Maximized (#7255) · Issues · Legacy / Trac · GitLab

Don’t be fooled by that ticket being closed. That’s a pointer but not enough. Since then various lengthy new tickets have resulted from the original ticket and it is hard to know where things stand now. Is anyone into that topic?

As a result this package was created
https://github.com/Whonix/kde-no-move-max-win

Since then window maximization has changed various times in Tor Browser.

Wondering if any of this is still useful?

Let’s keep it around until stable TBB removes the warning. I know upstream are working on patches to kill this tracking method.

1 Like

Any update?

While window size rounding seems to be implemented, it works only on some platforms with Windows being problematic:

So the window resolution resizing anti-fingerprinting is much more complicated than we think. They are working on protecting users who enable the bookmark bar, who do page zooming or use it on system with weird tiling window managers:

1 Like

Looks no longer required due to letterboxing, see:

Removed from wiki:

Tor Browser: Difference between revisions - Whonix

1 Like

I don’t think you should delete that, since gk says you still shouldn’t change the default window size i.e. Letterboxing provides ‘some’ protection, but you’re still likely more fingerprintable. So unless we know better than Tor devs…

Anonymous (not verified) said:

October 22, 2019

Letterboxing is great at softening the fingerprint in those rare cases where you accidentally resize or maximize a window. However doesn’t it decrease the uniformity if people start using it intentionally, given all the possible window and height combinations?

Is using the default window size still recommended?

gk said:

October 23, 2019

In reply to Letterboxing is great at… by Anonymous (not verified)

Yes, the default size is still recommended. But, if users are resizing their window they should get some protection now. Before that we only had the notification bar popping up and essentially saying “Don’t do that! Danger!” which was kind of lame. Now, we have something better to offer which fits more to our privacy-by-design goal.

1 Like

Thanks. Feel free to undo or I’ll do that soon. Should also add these quotes.

Done.