New Qubes Website! New Whonix Website?

Doesn’t look so bad for me. We can still change it later if desired. Yes, please go for it.

Good day,

Any references and unreadable files have been removed.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

I am not sure about the contents of http://egobits1.github.io/wiki/. Or the link to http://egobits1.github.io/wiki/. Perhaps the wiki button on the top should just redirect to Whonix ™ - Anonymous Operating System in meanwhile?

Good day,

First of all, yes, the Qubes-URL (or any outside URL for that matter) does work. “href” simply exists to reference to any source, either local or on another server.

Secondly, changed the “Wiki-Tab” on the top to link to our Mediawiki-Documentation. We may include something later. That was what I meant when I wrote whether there already exists some content for the “Quick-Start-Guide”. Since this is just for the transition, I also linke the VBox-Download-Sections to the Wiki.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

Great!

Fortasse will install the new website soonish. Probably next weekend.

1 Like

Good day,

Exceptional news. Regarding translation and editing, I sadly had to setup everything independent of Github Pages. While it works to an extend on localhost, I still have problems getting it to run on my public server. Adding to that, the “language selector” (or rather drop-down menu) still doesn’t work properly on anything other then the lowest security setting when using the TBB which obviously isn’t an ideal state. So that needs to be addressed.

Either way, an important question would be whether we should use @torjunkie’s very thorough Quick-Start-Guide as a base or write something from the ground up: Whonix Quick-Start Guide v0.1 - #9 by torjunkie If the former should be the case, it could be integrated right away, still running in parallel to our “old” wiki.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

( My feedback to that quick start guide: Whonix Quick-Start Guide v0.1 - #16 by Patrick )

I think it’s too verbose, very much so.

@Ego: We’ve cherry-picked a couple pages out of your repo (they’re live now! :D), but it seems like there are some placeholder / incomplete pages in the repo. Could you look at having the master branch be “complete,” and use a separate branch for doing testing? That would make it easier for us to see that there are important changes we may need to pull down.

It’s a great landing page, thanks for all your hard work.

3 Likes

Good day,

Sure, created a seperate branch and removed any references to my tests from the original one.

Have a nice day,

Ego

2 Likes

Apologies I never cut down the v 0.1 version of the ‘Quick’ Start Guide for you. Been too busy.

I’ll look over what’s up on the new website page and revisit your feedback when I have a chance. There is value in editing the wiki too in various places.

2 Likes

This was done.

1 Like

https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix-Website/pull/14

Suggested fixes/improvements to the main Whonix page i.e. http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/

1. Update the “Forum” and “News” links at the very top of the page to .onion links.

Every other link is onionzed right now i.e. Download, Wiki, FAQ etc. This provides consistency.

“Forum” link → change to: http://forums.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/

“News” link → change to: http://forums.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/c/news

2. Add the source references for the following quotes (consistency with other quotes that already do that).

”For the even more paranoid, there is a lesser-known Tor-enabled OS called Whonix”

wired.com

”Whonix is about as anonymous as an OS can get before it all becomes too inconvenient for normal use.”

theguardian.com

”Whonix, an operating system you can run in a virtual machine to maximize your online anonymity; it’s ideal for maintaining a secret identity.”

theintercept.com

”Whonix adds a layer of anonymity to your business tasks.”

techrepublic.com

3. Suggested/improved rewording.

Virus Protection

Additional security hardening measures and user education through Whonix provide better protection from viruses.

Change to:

Virus Protection

Whonix provides additional security hardening measures and user education to provide better protection from viruses.

History

An eight year history of protecting our users against Real World Attacks.

Change to:

History

Protecting our users against Real World Attacks for around a decade.

Fully auditable

You don’t have to trust our word that it respects and protects you. It is independently verifiable by security experts and software developers around the world. This improves security and privacy for everyone.

Change to:

Fully auditable

Whonix is independently verifiable by security experts and software developers around the world; you don’t have to trust developer claims. This improves security and privacy for everyone.

Complete respect for privacy

Your data always belongs to you, and only you. We don’t make advertising deals or collect sensitive personal data. We’re funded directly by our users paying what they want. And that’s how it should be.

Change to:

Complete respect for privacy

Whonix respects data privacy principles. We don’t make advertising deals or collect sensitive personal data. We’re funded directly by user contributions and that’s how it should be.

Warrant Canary

A canary confirms that no warrants have been served on the Whonix project.

Change to:

Warrant Canary

A canary confirms that no warrants have ever been served on the Whonix project.

Complete user freedom

There are no artificial restrictions on how users can reconfigure the system.

Change to:

Complete user freedom

No artificial restrictions are imposed on possible system configurations.

Digitally signed releases

Downloads are signed so you can verify they are genuine Whonix releases.

Change to:

Digitally signed releases

Downloads are signed so genuine Whonix releases can be verified.

Open Source

All of Whonix source code is licensed under OSI Approved Licenses. We respect the rights of our users. All of Whonix is available for review, scrutiny, modification, and redistribution by anyone. This improves security and privacy for everyone.

Change to:

Open Source

All the Whonix source code is licensed under OSI Approved Licenses. We respect user rights to review, scrutinize, modify, and redistribute Whonix. This improves security and privacy for everyone.

Research and Implementation Project

Be wary of those confidently calling themselves all-knowing, all-perfect. Whonix is an actively maintained research project making constant improvements – no shortcomings are ever hidden from users.

Change to:

Research and Implementation Project

Whonix makes modest claims and is wary of overconfidence. Whonix is an actively maintained research project making constant improvements; no shortcomings are ever hidden from users.

sandbox-app-launcher is an application launcher that can start each app inside its own restrictive sandbox. It runs each app as its own user, in a bubblewrap sandbox and confined by AppArmor.

Change to:

sandbox-app-launcher is an application launcher that can start each application inside its own restrictive sandbox. Each application runs as its own user, in a bubblewrap sandbox and confined by AppArmor.

enforce kernel module software signature verification

Change to:

Enforce kernel module software signature verification

deactivate malware after reboot from non-root compromise

Change to:

Deactivate malware after reboot from non-root compromise

post-quantum cryptography resistant signing of releases

Change to:

Post-quantum cryptography resistant signing of releases

multiple boot modes for better security (user, live, secureadmin, superadmin)

Change to:

Multiple boot modes for better security (user, live, secureadmin and superadmin)

4. Footer rewording (no need for arrows there; looks odd)

Whonix ™ is produced independently from the Tor® → anonymity software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project → about quality, suitability or anything else.

Change to:

Whonix ™ is produced independently from the Tor® anonymity software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project about quality, suitability or anything else.

5. Grammar nits.

Alternatively Debian, Kicksecure and perhaps other Debian based hosts can boot their existing host operating system into Host Live Mode.

Change to:

Alternatively Debian, Kicksecure and perhaps other Debian-based hosts can boot their existing host operating system into Host Live Mode.

Whonix ™ is based on Kicksecure ™ which is a a security-hardened Linux distribution.

Change to:

Whonix ™ is based on Kicksecure ™ which is a security-hardened Linux distribution.

Prevent de-anonymization of Tor onion services through Tirdad kernel module for random ISN generation.

Change to:

Prevent de-anonymization of Tor onion services via utilization of the Tirdad kernel module for random ISN generation.

Booting into VM Live Mode is a simple as choosing Live Mode in the boot menu.

Change to:

Booting into VM Live Mode is as simple as choosing Live Mode in the boot menu.

1 Like

A bit to much starting sentences with “Whonix …”? Good idea? Could you edit please?

Protecting our users against Real World Attacks. for around a decade. (history)

Taken that, however not sure. I prefer https://simple.wikipedia.org style language and guess “decade” is a less known word by non-native speakers than years.

https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix-Website/commit/62499b9145490bba67571d065f674df69dd5073c

https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix-Website/commit/7afc3f9689648771dcc28038a52cad0fc5e889b1

https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix-Website/commit/6c4cfe8d9560ae8369e9561b7cb36675568e2c37

Spoke too soon. In the context, it’s actually not too much. Never mind.

Took all changes, I think. If not, it was forgotten. Please re-state.

That is a bit difficult. For all other links since these are on the same www subdomain, I was able to use relative links. But when switching to a different (sub)domain, html alone won’t cut it. That would require using PHP or some nginx string replace magic. Non-trivial. Hence, not yet implemented.

Nice - thanks. :slight_smile:

99% fixed. Just three little nits.

1. Remove extra full stop.

Protecting our users against Real World Attacks. for around a decade. (history)

Suggest instead:

Protecting our users against Real World Attacks for around a decade. (history)

2. Concept of trust repeated twice - suggest removing that.

You don’t have to trust our word that it respects and protects you. Whonix is independently verifiable by security experts and software developers around the world; you don’t have to trust developer claims. This improves security and privacy for everyone.

Suggest instead:

Whonix is independently verifiable by security experts and software developers around the world; you don’t have to trust developer claims. This improves security and privacy for everyone.

OR (if you prefer the first line of the original text):

You don’t have to trust our word that it respects and protects you. Whonix is independently verifiable by security experts and software developers around the world. This improves security and privacy for everyone.

3. Remove double “are”.

There are no artificial restrictions are imposed on possible system configurations.

Suggest instead:

There are no artificial restrictions imposed on possible system configurations.

1 Like