Monero Integration in Whonix

Anonymous edit Monero: Difference between revisions - Whonix

Advanced {{q_project_name}} users can investigate [monero-site/_i18n/ar/resources/user-guides/wallet_daemon_isolation_qubes_whonix.md at 6c25a8714b5f7c3863e91dac3fe48472c6b4b253 · 0xB44EFD8751077F97/monero-site · GitHub Wallet/Daemon Isolation]. In this configuration the Monero wallet does not have a network connection and is run on system that is virtually isolated from the daemon, which has all its traffic routed over Tor. This is untested by {{project_name}} maintainers.

Qubes gives the flexibility to easily create separate VMs for different purposes. First you will create a Whonix workstation for the daemon which will use a Whonix gateway for networking. Next, another Whonix workstation for the wallet with no connection to the network. For communication between the wallet and daemon you can make use of Qubes qrexec.
+
+
This is safer than other approaches which route the wallet’s rpc over a Tor hidden service, or that use physical isolation but still have networking to connect to the daemon. In this way you don’t need any network connection on the wallet, you preserve resources of the Tor network, and you incur less latency.

I am not sure that is correct:

In this configuration the Monero wallet does not have a network connection and is run on system that is virtually isolated from the daemon, which has all its traffic routed over Tor.

Quote monero-site/_i18n/ar/resources/user-guides/wallet_daemon_isolation_qubes_whonix.md at 6c25a8714b5f7c3863e91dac3fe48472c6b4b253 · 0xB44EFD8751077F97/monero-site · GitHub

For communication between the wallet and daemon you can make use of Qubes qrexec.

That qrexec connection is as good as a network connection. Different from a split (offline + watch-only) wallet Contents/docs/security/split-bitcoin.md at master · Qubes-Community/Contents · GitHub

Found that on the qubes-os forum where users talk about using it and it working.

Also - we already mention that link in the Intro on that wiki page. So if it’s wrong, it should be removed from both sections.

Personally I don’t put much faith in cryptocoin vaporware, so I don’t mind either way.

1 Like

Alright. Too complex to get into as a sideline. Could you remove both mentions please?

Fixed.

1 Like

Advanced [[Qubes]] users could look into [CLI Wallet/Daemon Isolation with Qubes + Whonix | Monero - secure, private, untraceable CLI Wallet/Daemon Isolation with Qubes + {{project_name}}]

[Redirecting to Google Groups qubes-users - Guide: Monero wallet/daemon isolation w/qubes+whonix]

Or we could keep this as an honorable mention, let advanced users look into it but otherwise stay out of it since complex, unspecific to Whonix?

Was 0.17.2.3 previously. (Forgot to post.)

Upgraded to 0.17.3.0 just now.

Dependencies issues according to ticket creator.

1 Like

Answered in above ticket.

1 Like

Current Monero-gui is 0.17.3.2 in upstream (29 April 2022), In Whonix 0.17.3.0 ( 4 December 2021)

I think its worth to have new version.

Uploaded 0.17.3.2 to testers repository just now.

1 Like

Now in stable repository.

1 Like

could this be relevant to whonix and steam isolation?

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

The new software (v0.18 “Fluorine Fermi”) will be released one month before the network upgrade, on the ~13th of July.

1 Like

@nurmagoz via Whonix Forum:

Monero will undergo a network upgrade on 13th August, 2022 | Monero - secure, private, untraceable

The new software (v0.18 “Fluorine Fermi”) will be released one month before the network upgrade, on the ~13th of July.

Monero GUI 0.18 not released yet. To check:

1 Like

Upgraded to 0.18.0.0 just now.

2 Likes

Upgraded to 0.18.1.0 just now.

2 Likes

Upgraded to 0.18.1.2 just now.

1 Like
2 Likes