Long Wiki Edits Thread

Done!

https://www.whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Tor&oldid=33867&diff=cur

Whonix 14 release notes

Removed link to sandboxed Tor Browser (Depricated)

https://www.whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Whonix_Release_Notes&oldid=34585&diff=cur

Tor Browser

• Removed link to sandboxed Tor Browser (Deprecated)
  • fixed link “Do Not Tor over Tor”

https://www.whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Tor_Browser&oldid=34462&diff=cur

2 Likes

Hi 0brand,

All fixed, except:

• Updated whonixcheck GUI (success message)
  • Updated whonixcheck progress meter (requires Whonix 14 for nice successful message)
  • Updated leak tests with Flash installed

That would be great if you could knock those off. I already added Tor Controller GUI and a bunch of others.

For bonus points, maybe add:

• Whonix Repository GUI
  • Reload Tor GUI (?)
  • Reload Firewall GUI (?)
  • Restart Tor GUI (?)
  • Anything else @Patrick ?
1 Like

Computer Security Education split -> Fixed

Please accept all the main ToC changes to reflect this, plus I nitpicked the whole thing, listed it alphabetically, and created new sections where required.

Probably the Tor Browser stuff is another candidate for chopping down to size in the new “Anonymous Browsing” section I created, but lets focus on fixing links first.

2 Likes

document multiple Qubes TemplateVMs:
https://phabricator.whonix.org/T811

Was able to get

• whonixcheck progress meter. I never saw a successful message. I think it flashes on and off the screen to quick to see.
  • Whonix Repository GUI x 2
  • Reload Tor GUI (I’m counting it since it starts from the GUI) Use it or not. :slight_smile:
  • Reload Firewall GUI (Same as above. Not really GUI but usable?)
  • 2 new Arm controller screenshots i.e. without large “W” in sys-whonix

Not able to get

• whonixcheck GUI success message. Not sure what successful message you are referring to? (using unaltered TemplateVM)
  • Flash leak test. I see why this was not completed. I’ll get it done :wink:
  • Restart Tor GUI .png was corrupted

Good idea for Whonix 14 rolling releases since users will want to use multiple repositories.

I’ll put this at the top of my TODO. Shouldn’t take to long to complete

2 Likes

Not ready for a call for testers but would appreciate if you could revise the wording.

Advanced security guide:

Experiment with these…

Added to Top of my list along with

document multiple Qubes TemplateVMs:

wink, nudge, nudge @torjunkie :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @0brand - linked all your pics and edited Screenshots accordingly. Pity about success message, I thought it stayed there until closed by user (or it used to).

ha ha - I’ll let you work your technical magic and come sniffing later on :wink:

Bump @Patrick

If you approve all that, it will be much easier to start fixing all the links from the 3 splits.

Plus, it improves the main ToC which is too chunky in that section I split into browsing, email & messengers, other anonymous services. (plus splitting off dev/license stuff into own section)

1 Like

⚓ T141 reorganize 'Computer Security Education' vs 'Post Install Advice' vs 'Security Guide' vs 'Advanced Security Guide' → Fixed.

Please close.

torjunkie:

Bump @Patrick

If you approve all that, it will be much easier to start fixing all the links from the 3 splits.

Plus, it improves the main ToC which is too chunky in that section I split into browsing, email & messengers, other anonymous services.

Sure. Thanks for letting me know that this blocks things so I will
prioritize it. (Previously I didn’t prioritize since it looked like a
time consuming change.)

Unfortunately the accept revision button is broken perhaps due to recent
changes. Already notified mig5. I’ll review as soon I hear it’s repaired.

1 Like

Revision button should be fixed now! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Amazingly quick! Thanks for being so proactive :slight_smile:

I have another one for you:

When editing the wiki, I saw this error, which I’ve never encountered before:

Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Backend fetch failed
Guru Meditation:

XID: 543227909

Varnish cache server

Subsequent edits worked after refreshing the page.

Might be related to recent tightening of server config.

1 Like

Hi @torjunkie, thanks for the report…

Do you happen to know what time you saw this error (maybe UTC or CEST would be useful, to correlate with server time which is CEST, but whatever works for you if you can specify the timezone).

And/or what page you were editing at the time.

A 503 reported by Varnish means it couldn’t get a response from its backend Apache, which is a surprise to me, as that’s an area I didn’t touch recently (and I’ve touched a lot of areas! :slight_smile: )

One theory is the logrotate daily cron or something reloaded Apache at just that precise time (e.g a fluke) but knowing what time you experienced this will be useful. Unfortunately Varnish doesn’t really log anything so it’s hard to debug further.

A 503 would also occur if some sort of timeout threshold was tripped between Varnish waiting for Apache to respond - e.g if you’re uploading a very large file that might occur. So a bit of context might help track this down, so far not seeing much in the logs other than a 503 on the ‘Screenshots’ wiki page at 10:11AM CEST or so…

2 Likes

Hi mig5,

Yes, that was me. I guess it was just a fluke(?) in timing.

Thanks for the education you’re giving everyone too in explaining things, it’s appreciated.

BTW phabricator used to be the real buggy Whonix sub-domain, often reporting some “clustered(?) exception error” (I think), and a refresh was required for the page to present properly.

But it seems fine recently, so fingers crossed.

2 Likes

@torjunkie yeah, the Phabricator issue was due to ‘too many connections’ MySQL errors - a side-effect of its peculiar database design - and we recently saw it even impacts the wiki since they share the same MySQL server. Both issues should not reoccur :slight_smile:

The Varnish one remains a mystery, might need to add some logging and attempt to reproduce some other time. Curious if it was instantaneous or whether there was a long timeout first. Anyway, let me know if it occurs again.

2 Likes

That was instantaneous after either hitting the “edit” or “preview” button.

1 Like

OpenPGP Best Practices - riseup.net is nice although they recommend 3072 RSA which I see no reason for if we can easily use maximum key length 4096 RSA.

1 Like

I’m holding off on edits until the main ToC page is approved i.e. as this prevents me finishing off recent weeks of work (and satisifying my editing OCD). :wink:

1 Like

Whonix ™ Documentation already is confirmed. It doesn’t show any edits. Permission error - Whonix also doesn’t list it.