Long Wiki Edits Thread

[user@dom0 Desktop]$ qubes-prefs updatevm
sys-whonix

user@dom0 Desktop]$ sudo qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-templates-community --action=reinstall qubes-template-whonix-ws-14

Qubes OS Repository for Dom0                     25 MB/s |  26 kB     00:00    
Dependencies resolved.
================================================================================
 Package                     Arch   Version             Repository         Size
================================================================================
Reinstalling:
 qubes-template-whonix-ws-14 noarch 4.0.1-201807171801  qubes-dom0-cached 672 M

Transaction Summary

Total size: 672 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Reinstalling: qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       1/2 
whonix-ws-14: Importing data
  Erasing     : qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       2/2 
  Verifying   : qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       1/2 
  Verifying   : qubes-template-whonix-ws-14-4.0.1-201807171801.noarch       2/2 

Reinstalled:
  qubes-template-whonix-ws-14.noarch 4.0.1-201807171801                         

Complete!
[user@dom0 Desktop]$ 

It took multiple tries running the command due to connection failure (Tor congestion). So maybe a comment should be made that re-running command might be necessary.

Using a non-torrified UpdateVM might also be needed if whonix-gw is the (broken, misconfigured…) template that is reinstalled. Instructions for both torified and non-torified are needed. Or maybe combined into a general - How to set UpdateVM?

1 Like

Yes.

Sounds good.

Also sounds good. UpdateVM, UpdatesProxy and perhaps torification or any VM (the latter just missing links?).

Other reasons for re-install of TemplateVM:

• upgrade to next stable version of Whonix
  • upgrade to testers-only version of Whonix
  • help testing testers-only version of Whonix (have clone of stable template)
1 Like

https://whonix.org/wiki/About#

{{DISPLAYTITLE:Design and Goals}}
{{#seo:
|description=Whoniy Summary, what who is, Anonymity online through Tor, Security by Isolation, Based on Debian
|image=https://www.whonix.org/w/images/7/70/Information-275708-640.png
}}

Should this be?:

Whonix Summary: Whonix is; Anonymity online through Tor, Security by Isolation, Based on Debian

Correct punctuation? @torjunkie

1 Like

@nurmagoz

Added this to Whonix Team page since you devote considerable time toward Whonix testing :+1:

OK with you?

https://whonix.org/w/index.php?title=Team&oldid=39153&diff=cur

2 Likes

Hi Patrick,

I didn’t want to make a new thread but could you please create the Whonix ™ for macOS: Download and Installation page? I am happy to assist macOS users to the best of my ability and will start updating the macOS wiki as issues arise.

Thanks,

ryjorny

3 Likes

Hi ryjorny

Thats’ awesome! MacOS page has been created. You’ve been added as page maintainer if that s’ alright with you? You can start editing when you’re ready!

1 Like

Appreciate that :blush:

sounds good. I skimmed through forum and phabricator and didn’t see any pending macos issues. Do you know of any I may have missed?

1 Like

Hi ryjorny

No issues that i know of. BTW great start on that page.

1 Like

@Patrick

I’ve been working on Qubes/Reinstall manual method

The advantage of this method is, that it also works with non-Fedora based Qubes dom0 UpdateVMs, i.e. also with Debian based Qubes dom0 UpdateVMs.

Since automated method can use a torified UpdateVM should we have a manual method? Everything is covered in automated method section - Salt, DVM template, uninstall templates etc. Its a lot simpler IMO. Less chance of mistakes.

Maybe I’m missing something. Maybe more advanced users with prefer manual?

1 Like

@ryjorny:
If legally possible, I guess so…
Could you remove please Copyright: and License?
Unnecessary.

I don’t think Apple or Oracle have any copyright on that page just for mentioning them. Claiming they have copyright where they didn’t invent anything may even be illegal.

For most pages Whonix copyright / licensing is already sorted in the page footer.

Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Libre Software license as Whonix itself. (Why?)

The format of the macOS wiki was based on the Whonix Computer Security Introduction wiki page

I am not sure headlines are enough creativity copyright wise to be protected by copyright. The Computer Security Education - Whonix says Whonix Computer Security Education wiki page Copyright (C) Amnesia <amnesia at boum dot org> but that page was rewritten / remixed so many times it’s hard to see what contents there still are by (C) Amnesia.

When creating Whonix for macOS: Download and Installation I don’t think we need to give (C) Amnesia.

1 Like

No, I don’t remember anything ever being reported.

Reinstall Qubes-Whonix Templates

qubes-templates-community-testing repository metadata outdated · Issue #4517 · QubesOS/qubes-issues · GitHub

Action reinstall means “reinstall exactly the same package”. It is not supposed to upgrade it. You probably meant --action=upgrade.

1 Like

I am pretty sure in most cases we don’t want reinstall the very same version. What we want is:

• reinstall very same version if no newer version is available
  • upgrade to newer version if available
1 Like

Problem is --action=upgrade will not reinstall if already the latest version. So I am looking for some kind of combined command.

1 Like

Documented this in Reinstall Qubes-Whonix ™ Templates: Stable Version and opened:

1 Like