Long Wiki Edits Thread

Holy shit the wiki is suddenly looking very sexy! Good job Hutchy and Patrick and anybody else involved!

One other nit, is do you notice with blockquotes that if we embed a link in there (see the quote in this section for example), you have extra white space next to the embedded link?

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Data_Collection_Techniques#HTML5_Canvas_Image_Data

Weird right?

Can the maestro also fix that? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks good changes admitted. I went ahead and removed the recommendation for using pwgen for passwords since its not a secure choice for true entropy.

Changes rejected. Overly redundant and gives the impression that the project is anti-LE which we are not. However in the name of facts you can point to edwardsnowden.com which is a database of all released docs and will get the point across.

Aside: The page needs to be a lot more concise and give more relevant arguments for importance of anonymity to individuals rather abstractions or laundry list of abuses.

https://thecasswiki.net/index.php?title=Signs_of_the_Times

It’s a volunteer led news aggregator site that covers everything from everyday topics to UFO/Alien stuff. It’s about mirroring news rather than creating original content. There is no single agenda or political direction for the site.

So while its not real fake news, its not really a reliable info source.

2 Likes

⚓ T868 mediawiki fixes #2 updated.

Do we still need the https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Portal page? Anyone using it? Was considering to purge it without replacement. Reasons:

I like the new wording of Tor Browser: Manual Download and accepted the changes just now.

However, the text which was fixed didn’t really belong there in the first place. The fixed text, i.e. these chapters…

Introduction

Don’t seem to fit the page title. Could you move somewhere else please, I guess Tor Browser Essentials would be more suitable?

While we are at it, should Tor Browser: Manual Download be on its own page or merged into Tor Browser Essentials?

What is the complete Firejail launch command you are using in terminal?

i dont use lines , i edit profiles inside /etc/firejail then i launch the TBB or any other program with firetools (gui firejail).

at the moment changes havent been well working with TBB yet, wait for the upstream upgrade at least to backport.

1 Like

Thanks for reviewing both.

I guess it’s just me :wink: I still like one of the paragraphs in the conclusion, which I think can still be used fairly.

The point i am trying to make there is that they are not acting as default LE, they have morphed into orwellian overseers who are in your crack every time you take a dump. That is very different from traditional policing, particularly when done in secret and targeted at non-criminals.

Yes, we can link to that instead.

Portal → I vote to kill it.

It has always been ugly, and I think probably under-used as you say. Since it is duplicating info found elsewhere, I won’t miss it.

Will fix that. We should probably merge it also - I’ll check how it looks etc.

2 Likes

When I originally created that page The Importance of Anonymity a few years ago it was a different climate and it was more like a mindset of “Tails has this subject, should add to Whonix wiki for completion purposes”. Same for some sites from jondonym on my mission impossible to perfectionism making the best of all. (You can perfect into direction of completeness, but you cannot at the same time perfect conciseness/usability.)

Nowadays I would think twice about creating that page. Nowadays times are much more Orwellian so I have to self-censor, censor whonix.org contents (limitations on free speech in Whonix forums) to not get into too many “things” (even that word is self-censorship) than possible to handle.

2 Likes

What I meant to write originally was “to not open too many fronts”, but “front” could by a non-generous interpretation (an overly critical interpretation, not trying to understand but trying to construct a point) be understood as “military language, call for violence”. And then use that as a piece to make a case to shut down the project. For completeness sake the obvious meaning of a simple idiomatic way of language: it’s not possible time wise to run Whonix as well as a free speech platform since one is a mostly a technical challenge, the other one is for a big part a legal challenge which alternatives like gab.ai trying to fight (meaning I hope gab.ai and others are real about it). Orwellian mental clusterfuck, mission accomplished,

2 Likes

No problem. Anyone can edit any page they want. (for the most part) Plus I’m sure it looks better than what I could do and it frees up time to answer support questions… etc

2 Likes

https://phabricator.whonix.org/T868

too much white space after before bullet points

The following looks ok in phabricator.

text text text

• point 1
  • point 2
  • point 3

Write conclusion here…

It does not look good in Whonix wiki.

• between text text text and point 1 there is more space than
  • between point 3 and Write conclusion here…

Example: Frequently Asked Questions - Whonix FAQ

Actually that is fixed by now?

1 Like

Reference required.

I added the note on Gnome Disks. Manual testing is your reference.

I just noticed that the two pages have a copy of the exact same info (before my changes to the first link) Can you please templatize the encryption section so changes wouldn’t need to be made twice?

The good copy we want to templatize:

The outdated copy:

HulaHoop:

Reference required.

I added the note on Gnome Disks. Manual testing is your reference.

I just noticed that the two pages have a copy of the exact same info (before my changes to the first link) Can you please templatize the encryption section so changes wouldn’t need to be made twice?

Could you make a bug report for gnome disks please if it doesn’t exist
already?

The good copy we want to templatize:
Full Disk Encryption and Encrypted Images - Whonix

The outdated copy:
Advanced Security Guide - Whonix

Advanced_Security_Guide, Security Guide, Computer Security Education
contents will be removed. Chapters will remain with links to new
content. Note on page header about page deprecation. Content was already
split and moved to other pages by torjunkie.

Could you add to /Documentation please plus whenever any other links would be useful to that page?

Full Disk Encryption and Encrypted Images - Whonix worth splitting?

The page title Full Disk Encryption gets kinda destroyed with the appendix and Encrypted Images. Plus the former has hands-on practical advice while Encrypted Guest Images is a research result, not actionable by most users, useful to keep since sometimes requested as feature and then nice to have as a competent answer.

Could you add to /Documentation please plus whenever any other links would be useful to that page?

Yes, fixed thank you.

Also:

1. Can he/she also fix the “NO TITLE” problem that doesn’t work on various pages e.g. →

http://dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Security_in_Real_World

(which reminds me, if they can’t fix it can we redirect that page to a page called “Protection Against Real World Attacks” instead? Or, in desperation I’ll create a new page & copy all text across & fix links because it is annoying to look at that title year after year… :slight_smile: )

2. Re: the white space after linking to external resources - it is only
a problem when the resource pointed to is a PDF. Maybe hutch knows why? It happens in both normal linking, and in blockquotes (the white space)

Another nit, that template:Tunnel Support has {{VPN documentation}} at the bottom, but no text appears? It just leads to white space - so can we delete or fix that?

Yes, on second thought I realize it is best to generally avoid all the political stuff in wiki (forums maybe ok) because it a rabbit hole that never ends. Wiki-wise, we can just refer to external refs (reputable) in the main and just briefly address the issue if necessary.

Thanks 0brand. Don’t spend too much time on the forums. Your skills are better used for technical fixes and documentation IMO.

Forums are a black hole where users will suck you dry, with many (most?) failing to do basic wiki searches, because if they had the answers would have already been discovered.

1 Like

I’m starting to realize that. Most of my time has been going to support instead of wiki edits. To be honest its is a little frustrating when its only a matter of a (user) using a search engine to find the answer. Is it because of their inexperience - I was there not to long ago - or because they don’t want to spend the time. Free support principle applies for either case but I don’t mind spending a few extra minutes for the former. But I think I’ve been holding their hands a little to much. They have to learn to be self sufficient.

3 Likes

I’m working on Forcing onion wiki. Has anyone else copied over the https Everywhere rulesets from the new file location (old VM to new VM). There are those weird characters and I want to be sure no one has had any problems with copy rulesets to new VM.

The new file location:

~/.tb/tor-browser/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Browser/profile.default/storage-sync.sqlite

2 Likes

torjunkie:

Yes, fixed thank you.

Also:

1. Can he/she also fix the “NO TITLE” problem that doesn’t work on various pages e.g. →

Will look into it. Part of ⚓ T868 mediawiki fixes #2.

(which reminds me, if they can’t fix it can we redirect that page to a page called “Protection Against Real World Attacks” instead? Or, in desperation I’ll create a new page & copy all text across & fix links because it is annoying to look at that title year after year… :slight_smile: )

Agreed. That page should be renamed either way.

2. Re: the white space after linking to external resources - it is only
a problem when the resource pointed to is a PDF. Maybe hutch knows why? It happens in both normal linking, and in blockquotes (the white space)

Crucial helpful “it is only a problem when the resource pointed to is a
PDF”. Maybe content security policy related. Could you raise in that
thread please?

Another nit, that template:Tunnel Support has {{VPN documentation}} at the bottom, but no text appears? It just leads to white space - so can we delete or fix that?

Deleted.

1 Like

Already did yesterday. It’s included in a ML message to the Debian bugtracker

1 Like