How to play Audio in TOR (PulseAudio)

To play audio, you may need to install the required PlusAudio software. Learn how

Learn how take you here: Fix common audio and video issues | Firefox Help

But if you search the page for PlusAudio nothing will come up. Only AdBlock Plus.
Has anyone else seen this? Is there a fix?

Go to that link and look for: PulseAudio not PlusAudio

The fist heading on that page:

You may need to install the required PulseAudio software…

If there is a typo in the Whonix wiki instructions could you please point it out i.e link to wiki page. This way it can be fixed.

If you encounter any more problems I’m happy to help. :slight_smile:

I went here
and looked for PluseAudio (although plus should’ve pulled it up) pops up with no matches.
I read the first header and still didn’t see it. Can you take screenshot?

Hi shorty123

I was referring to the Whonix page that you found this information. I was wondering if it has PulseAudio spelled wrong -->PlusAudio

To play audio, you may need to install the required PlusAudio software. Learn how

You have java script enabled? If you forbid scripts globally using noscripts you will see the heading. Try that :slight_smile:

YouTube needs JS to work. What do you mean by header? I can inspect the site.

I was referring to the Whonix page that you found this information

That is where found it…

Please follow these steps

1. Go to this site:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-common-audio-and-video-issues?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

2. Forbibid scripts globaly using NoScripts.The instructions will not render with Scripts Enabled. Not sure why.

3. This Subheading( Heading, Header, Paragraph title ) along with instructions will appear.

You may need to install the required PulseAudio software

If you see a notification saying "To play audio, you may need to install the required PulseAudio[…]

4. When done reading, enable scripts (Java Scripts) so Youtube will work.

Note: It is strongly recommended that you Forbid Scripts Globally by default and only enable them on a case by case basis.

Ohh OK. I thought you found that on one of the Whonix wiki pages.

Which one do I download: Download – PulseAudio
Does Whonix have their own download for it?

shorty123:

Does Whonix have their own download for it?

No.

Sorry, I’m new to Linux. What do I do?
I found this: Download – PulseAudio
But they got like a bazillion downloads. Which one do I use?

Are you using the Whonix 13 templates? You might try updating to 14 instead. I was missing audio on the 13 version too.

Hi shorty123

If you’re planning on installing software – at present moment or in the future – you should use the distribution package manager. Since Whonix is based on Debian you should the official Debian package manager called) APT

When you went to the Mozilla site you saw this mentioned which was referring to the above.

Use your system’s software package manager and ensure that PulseAudio is correctly installed.

Unfortunately its not always that easy. To get audio working in Whonix 13 you may have to do some troubleshooting. That’s why awokd mentioned you may want to try Whonix 14 (audio should work). However its important to add that Whonix 14 is still in testing. There a a few issues that need to be ironed out but they are not security related.

https://forums.whonix.org/t/whonix-14-release-blockers-status-of-whonix-14-development/5111

1 Like

How do I check what version I am running? When did Whonix 14 come out? I haven’t been using Qubes for that long but if its easy to test the version I am willing to try.

Hi shorty123

In sys-whonix or anon-whonix konsole, run.

anon-info

If your output has “jessie” for Debian version (like the following), you’re using Whonix 13. If it has “stretch”, its Whonix 14.

INFO: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/torproject.list does not exist.
INFO: version of the 'tor' package: 0.3.2.9-1~d80. jessie +1

As I mentioned Whonix 14 is still in testing. One of the reasons it has not been blessed stable (aka blocker) is the method used to configure the Whonix VMs for release 14 is broken. (soon to be resolved)

You have two options:

2 Likes

Btw Whonix 14 will have this file to determinate version number:

whonix-base-files/whonix_version at master · Whonix/whonix-base-files · GitHub

Didn’t show either:

Welcome to Whonix! https://www.whonix.org The programs included with the Whonix GNU/Linux system are free software; the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright. Whonix GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Whonix is a derivative of Debian GNU/Linux. Whonix is based on Tor. Whonix is produced independently from the Tor (r) anonymity software and carries no guarantee from The Tor Project about quality, suitability or anything else. Whonix is experimental software by means of concept and design. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity. Type: “whonix” for help
user@host:~$ anon-info

Could not find the database of available applications, run update-command-not-found as root to fix this anon-info: command not found

user@host:~$ anon-info

Could not find the database of available applications, run update-command-not-found as root to fix this anon-info: command not found

user@host:~$

I think I might be confused. What step-by-step am I supposed to do?
Also, how do I clone a Qube?
Btw thanks for your time. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry. Forgot to mention run command in sys-whonix.

In sys-whonix konsole, run.

anon-info

Preferred method - To download and configure new Whonix TemplateVMs use these instructions.

https://forums.whonix.org/t/qubes-whonix-14-0-0-6-9-templatevms-for-r3-2-and-r4-testers-wanted/4988

To upgrade in place Whonix-13 TemplateVMs to Whonix-14 use these instructions.

https://whonix.org/wiki/Upgrading_Whonix_13_to_Whonix_14

Clone VM

Qubes R3.2 qvm-clone

Qubes R4.0 qvm-clone

:wink:

1 Like

What is the difference between the two?

They are both Whonix 14

Downloading a new Whonix is preferred because its a fresh image with no user modifications and less room for errors: 1 download vs. many commands for manual upgrade Whonix 13 -> Whonix 14

1 Like