How to install Chinese fonts and input method in whonix13

My friends, I saw a tutorial yesterday用虚拟机匿名吧(4)! ——Whonix输入法安装教程, I followed this tutorial try to install the Chinese environment and input method in a new creat whonix13-w of virtualbox , I feel that the operation is completed according to the tutorial, but after log out and log in, it is still an English interface, and there is no input method.When I View Language setting,there is only en_us, and no zh_cn or zh_tw option, so installation should be failed, which friend can teach me how to install Chinese environment and input method according to my operating system, I will waitting for answer online, look forward to reply. thank!

Hi openeyestotheworld

You can try using these instructions.

Thank you very much,i’m seeing this website and i will try it .if i have trouble,i will ask you again.

OMG ,i’m sad to say,i failed again.
I referenced these instructions and changed some code to adapt Chinese,but the interface fonts are all 口口口口,please help me to solve this problem,thank you very much.
My operation steps is(notice:this is my error step,don’t reference it):

• All Languages
  1. Open a terminal.

Start menu -> Applications -> System -> Terminal

1. Update the package lists.

sudo apt-get update

1. Search for available language packs.

apt-cache search kde-l10n

. Install a language pack.

sudo apt-get install kde-l10n-zhtw

1. Change the KDE setting.

Start menu -> Applications -> System -> System Settings -> Locale -> Languages -> Change Language

1. Open a terminal.

Start menu -> Applications -> System -> Terminal.

1. Reconfigure locales.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
From the list of enabled and available locales, uncheck/disable everything except for English and Chinese.

en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
zh_TW.UTF-8 UTF-8

1. Reboot Whonix-Workstation for the changes to take effect.

2. Open a terminal.

Start menu -> Applications -> System -> Terminal

1. Update the package lists.

sudo apt-get update

1. View the available language packs.

apt-cache search kde-i18n
Install the Chinese language pack.

sudo apt-get install kde-l10n-zhtw

sudo apt-get install ttf-unfonts-core ttf-unfont-extra

1. Open a terminal and reconfigure locales.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
Set zh-TW.UTF-8 UTF-8 as the default locale.

Restart the Whonix-Workstation.
End

Hi @openeyestotheworld !

I am not sure but this may help you with the fonts issue:

sudo apt-get install xfonts-intl-chinese fonts-arphic-ukai fonts-arphic-uming fonts-wqy-microhei fonts-wqy-zenhei

For Chinese input, please try this:

sudo apt-get install ibus-pinyin and then configure to add pinyin by typing ibus-setup in a console.

Please let me know whether it works for you or nor. :slight_smile:

It’s a typo. It should be fonts-wqy-zenhei not fonnts-wqy-zenhei

I’m correcting it and trying to continue

1 Like

Thank you very much! I installed Chinese input successful!But the interface language is still English,not Chinese

Could you please try this in a console: kdesudo whonix-setup-wizard locale_settings and then select other?

The softwares provided in Whonix does not support Chinese currently. So if this issue is resolved, it means the fronts installation does help:

It means couldn’t change system language ?In this instruction,it seems useful but i don’t known how to install chinese.I tried follow it but doesn’t workHow to change the User Interface Language for your Operating System and Tor Browser.I followed your instructions in new Whonix,just installed fonts and input,not set system language yet.

You can change it with:

kdesudo whonix-setup-wizard locale_settings

It just a english in the language list,no way to swith another language

That’s true. This will fix it:

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends kde-l10n-zhcn kde-l10n-zhtw

BTW, have the 口口口口 issue been resolved by only installing all fronts?

You are a great man!I installed fonts,language and input successed!The 口口口口 issue had been resolved,Thank you again!I will record the code that you gave me as my experience!

1 Like

1 Like

Are you very welcome! :wink:

For your information, Whonix is working on supporting Chinese by default:

I am wondering if you would like to offer some help so that more Chinese people can enjoy the Whonix? For example, the work can be:

• testing Chinese in Whonix and reporting any unsatisfying experience
  • documenting how to install and configure Chinese front, input method and language
  • translating important Whonix Wiki guide into Chinese
2 Likes

I’d like to join you and offer help to Chinese people,but I’m lack in confidence with it beacuse I use Whonix(Linux) just weeks and my English is not good,so I’m not competent to do this work well.

2 Likes