Gateway "network manager won't start"

I have Lubuntu 15.10 on a PNY flash drive. I have put VirtualBox 5.0 on the Lubuntu. I have Whonix Gateway and Workstation in the virtualbox. I can’t get gateway to open. It says “network manager failed to start”. I don’t understand where I am going wrong. Please help!

Good day,

could you please give us a little more information. Where does it say that? A screenshot, as well as the entire error message, would be great.

Have a nice day,

Ego

It’s the start up when you click start on the virtualbox to launch the gateway. This time is went too fast to get a screenshot of it but this may help. I am wired in so I don’t know why it won’t connect

Good day,

as far as I can tell, this has nothing to do with whether you are connected or not, as the gateway would still boot, even if it wasn’t connected to the net. Have you verified the image, since I assume the problem lies there.

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

I am sorry I don’t understand what “verify the image” means? I download from the site. When it gets done trying to load it just goes to a blank black screen…

Good day,

I’m talking about this: Verify the virtual machine images using Linux - Whonix

The reason for this is to verify, that the download went done without an issue and that no one was able to tamper with your images.

As you seem to be rather new to Whonix, may I recommend reading the following things:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Pre_Install_Advice

Have a nice day,

Ego

1 Like

I think it is this issue:
Known Issues - Whonix

patrick, is there something on that link I should specifically download? I am trying to go through the steps from what Ego said but its confusing.

I have been at this for a month…

Nothing specific. Just read from “ATA FreezeATA Freeze” that whole small chapter. Just ~11 lines. The next headline “Non-Qubes-Whonix” does not apply for this very issue.

To simplify what it says: “try producing less load on the host”. (For example, doing video encoding or something similar hdd using, don’t.)

And if this doesn’t help, then we cannot help. Your only option then is to switch to a different supported platform other than VirtualBox.