Error: Virtualizer unsupported by whonix developers

Hello!
I’ve got this problem few month ago and then have not used the Whonix until now, so I can’t remember what caused it.
So, the problem appears when I start whonixcheck. Instead of normal output, I’ve got this:

ERROR: Virtualizer Failed to check for virtualization: Permission denied unsupported by Whonix developers! Whonixcheck aborted! (qubes_detected: false)
Using Virtualizer Failed to check for virtualization: Permission denied together with Whonix is recommended against, because it is rarely tested. [1] [2] [3]
It could be made possible, but would require more Whonix contributors.
It may already work, but is highly experimental.
This might endanger your anonymity. Do not proceed unless you know what you are doing.
If you wish to ignore this warning and to continue whonixcheck anyway, you can set
WHONIXCHECK_NO_EXIT_ON_UNSUPPORTED_VIRTUALIZER=“1”
in /etc/whonix.d/30_whonixcheck_default.conf.

context for answering this late:

https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/Whonix

It is not clear why this error shows up, or whether anything bad will happen if it’s ignored. The only mention of this error that I can find in upstream documentation is this forum thread, which doesn’t have any solution.

related source code in whonixcheck:

At the time for writing, whonixcheck test check_virtualizer executes systemd-detect-virt and checks if it has any of the following values:

• oracle
  • kvm
  • qemu
  • xen

Supported platforms (those where there is a maintainer) listed on our download page:

Platforms not listed there are unsupported.

In this case it is showing:

[ERROR] [whonixcheck] Virtualizer Failed to check for virtualization: Permission denied unsupported by Whonix developers! Whonixcheck aborted! (qubes_detected: false)

Permission denied meaning that running systemd-detect-virt failed for some reason, likely due to mandatory access control, apparmor issues. Therefore, please provide the output of the following command.

sudo cat /var/log/audit/audit.log | grep -i DENIED

Please also provide the output of:

sudo systemd-detect-virt
1 Like