Change and add links on Whonix Home Page for better UX

Hi everyone!

The following is my my proposal to a better UX Home Page:

https://github.com/Whonix/Whonix-Website/pull/1

It contains two commits:

• Change wiki link appear in Home Page to /wiki/Documentation:

It was linking to /wiki/Main_Page but that page is not as useful as /wiki/Documentation. User has to click twice before reaching /wiki/Documentation, leaving some of them the wrong image that Whonix is not well documented. In addition, Main_Page can still easily be found in Documentation Page which seems not to be harmful to its accessibility.

• Add a News link on Home page which links to Whonix Blog

How do you like the proposal?

//cc @Ego

2 Likes

Think it is a good idea to make navigation a little easier. The thing I like about the way it is set up now:

It links to the whonix_main_page (basic whonix overview) first so It would be more likely that a new / inexperienced user would read through it (main_page) before continuing on to the rest of the docs. I think it is important for new users to read to get at least a little better understanding of how whonix works.

1 Like

Hi @0brand !

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback!

I understand.

I am thinking about two potential solutions:

1. make the whonix_main_page more attractive in whonix_document page, for example, by adding a “firsrt time visitor/user should know” as instructions.

2. have an additional instruction on whonix_main_page saying something like “this wiki page is for fist time user/visitor, for more detailed information on Whonix, please check: whonix_document”.

What do you think about that?!

1 Like

That would point “first time Visitor/users” to the right place to start learning the basics about whonix. Personally I think “Whonix Overview” is a little vague for new users. I know when I first started using whonix I felt like the docs were a little intimidating and I really didn’t know where to start. It would definitely be helpful having “First Time Visitor/User Should Know” in the docs.

That would work. It would have to be some where at the top of the page so you can see it as soon as the page loads. That way you can decide if you want to continue reading or move on to the wiki documentation page.

Both solutions would work but I’m kinda partial to the first one.

1. make the whonix_main_page more attractive in whonix_docs page
1 Like

Me, too!

I can help to make that change. But before that, let’s wait for a while to see if others have different opinions or ideas on this. :slight_smile:

Just to make sure:

After that, we can safely “change wiki link appear in Home Page to /wiki/Documentation”, correct?

1 Like

Sound good to me. Obviously there are other people that have opinions which carry more weight than mine. (other whonix devs) Plus they always give good feed back/ideas.

1 Like

Done: http://www.kkkkkkkkkk63ava6.onion/w/index.php?title=Documentation&oldid=30543&diff=30769

Just a reminder, not a persuasion: the pull request may be merged after the changes are accepted.

3 Likes