Can i use private http proxy with Firefox browser?

Can i setup private http proxy within the Firefox browser? If i setup Firefox to use private proxy will the connection be like this - Firefox browser > Tor network > Private Proxy > Internet
Some websites block connections or registration from tor network, so i think using private proxies will be useful.

no stream isolation: bad
fixed exit node: bad
firefox browser: bad

but otherwise, yes.

1 Like
  1. I donā€™t know what ā€˜no stream isolationā€™ mean.

2. If the private proxy is bought anonymously over tor and paid with bitcoins i donā€™t think the fixed exit node will be a problem.

3. I donā€™t know if using the Firefox browser will be bad. If some security addons are installed, like NoScript, Https Everywhere and others, i think Firefox browser will be enough secure. Maybe not as secure as the Tor browser, but still secure.

My answer was deliberately terse because this forum has a search function and this topic is discussed from time to time.
Connecting to Tor before a Proxy

Stream Isolation

Anonymous Money

Entry and Exit nodes - #5 by entr0py

Tor Browser Essentials

That said, blocked exits are a real problem. There are various circumvention methods (censorship-circumvention Ā· GitHub Topics Ā· GitHub) - none are perfect.

We donā€™t know (and donā€™t care) whether you are sending Holiday Greetings to your Grandmother or trying to overthrow a dictatorship. We can only try to advise best practices. The rest is up to you.

4 Likes

Hi Simon707

Taken directly from Tor Project: FAQ

In short, using any browser besides Tor Browser with Tor is a really bad idea.

I really donā€™t think there is such a thing as ā€œsecure enoughā€. Wouldnā€™t you would want to use a browser that was designed for security and anonymity. By using Firefox you are taking on more risk which is completely unnecessary.

Many users are under the false pretense that they can add plugins to Firefox, change a few settings in about:config, and they have themselves a Tor Browser; not even close! About the only thing they get is a false sense of security. Actually, it comes with something else: unexpected unwanted behavior. Like this user found out.

Obviously the choice is yours but you way want to reconsider your options. If you need more information you can read through the Crash Course in Security and Anonymity on the Internet ( AKA the Whonix Documentaion ).

1 Like

I get it is a security risk but i am just looking for a way to be able to register in websites that block connections from tor network (and many sites do). I am wondering which one of these three will represent a less security risk:

1. Using the Tor browser but switching temporarily from SOCKS5 proxy to HTTP private proxy in the manually proxy configuration?

2. Using the Tor browser in ssh tunnel and temporarily change the SOCKS5 proxy settings to the dynamic proxy settings for the ssh tunnel?

3. Using public web proxy, for example like kproxy.com, inside the Tor browser and this way accessing websites using the public web proxy IP?

1. Best option is to not visit that website or to request that they change their Tor policy.

2. Tor Browser + proxy is better than Firefox + proxy. But I donā€™t know if Tor Browser can be configured with other proxies. As you can see from the docs: Connecting to Tor before a Proxy, TBB has had varying levels of compatibility over the years. That page is not maintained regularly so I donā€™t know the current status. A transparent proxy will work but thatā€™s more difficult to set up.

3. Any proxies you use (including Tor exit nodes) are untrusted meaning they can spoof certificates, redirect you to bad sites, etc. SSL isnā€™t perfect but itā€™s the best we have, so use https.

Thereā€™s a lot of (equally poor) options so take your pick and see if you can get it to work.

3 Likes

In the proxy configuration of the Tor browser why the SOCKS5 proxy is set with path to a file: ā€˜file:///var/run/anon-ws-disable-stacked-tor/127.0.0.1_9150.sockā€™, instead of 127.0.0.1 for host and 9150 for port?

Unix domain socket - Wikipedia
Make Tor Browser work with Unix Domain Socket option (#14270) Ā· Issues Ā· Legacy / Trac Ā· GitLab

I donā€™t know if TBB works with non-Unix sockets anymore.