Add Debian or Whonix version check

I was reading this article:

and i saw that we miss one thing we might add to whonix check , which is distro/debian version check up.

and i know two commands to do that (i dunno if there are more clearer commands than those 2 commands):

lsb_release -a

results:

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Whonix
Description:    Whonix GNU/Linux 9.5 (stretch)
Release:        9.5
Codename:       stretch

or cat /etc/debian_version

results:

so either we add the commands and it will show debian version, or we modify debian version to whonix version.

either way its fine , but the idea is to add version checker.

cc @Patrick

1 Like

Very few are looking at this command. Not even How to check Whonix version in Qubes - Michael Altfield's Tech Blog who tried some things. So won’t fix since messing with that creates more issues than good.

The solution would be to have a better message. Instead of:

WARNING: Whonix News Result: ✘ Outdated: Installed whonix-gateway-packages-dependencies 3.4.2-1 is outdated! You should update. You can automatically update using Whonix’s internal updater. Please update using: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

It could have a link to Release Upgrade.

A real solution:

cat /etc/whonix_version

whonixcheck --verbose --function show_versions

Includes:

[INFO] [whonixcheck] whonix_build_version: 3:2.6-1
[INFO] [whonixcheck] whonix-gateway-packages-dependencies-cli: 7.9-1
[INFO] [whonixcheck] /etc/whonix_version: 14
1 Like

Hey,

@nurmagoz, thanks for posting this ^-^

@Patrick, thanks for providing the proper solutions! As I linked in my post, the whonix documentation I found for determining the whonix version was these pages:

I went ahead and registered a new account on the whonix wiki and edited the first wiki article to include your whonixcheck --verbose --function show_versions command. As I’m a new user, the edit is currently pending.

I think it’s imperative that the cat /etc/whonix_version command also be documented somehwhere as well. Anyone have a suggestion on where that should be put?

-Michael Altfield

EDIT: I added the cat /etc/whonix_version command to the documentation on the FAQ page…also pending approval.

2 Likes