2018 Google Summer of Code

To build the organization and increase project successes, I think Whonix should be very interested in the Google Summer of Code for 2018 and actively inviting coders out there to make an application.

Perhaps a blog post that mimics Qubes’ page here:

Google Summer of Code (GSoC) | Qubes OS

This is already proven to be a successful approach. Look at how iry has come on board following the 2017 program and completed the major anon-connection-wizard project.

He/she’s a damn good coder, a hard worker and a committed team member.

It would be a waste to overlook this opportunity. Organization application cut-off date is January 23.

3 Likes

Does Whonix need to draft something, or will it work like last time, if coders put their hand up for a Qubes-Whonix (cross platform to non-Qubes-Whonix) application or whatever, it can be considered in the Qubes list like last time?

Basically all of gsoc admin work.

Would be good if Whonix could reuse Qubes gsoc. gosc from last gsoc
would apply again except anon-connection-wizard.

1 Like

OK, so I guess that is a developer to developer discussion i.e. riding on their coattails if they are accepted again for 2018, and you’d just need to list 2 (maybe 3) things a young student could spend 3 months on then over at qubes-os.org link (below) - with enough detail as per other things listed there.

And it would have to be Qubes-Whonix specific, or preferably cross platform i.e. non-Qubes Whonix and Qubes-Whonix.

2 Likes

Done.

• qubes-project mailing list
  • qubes website pull requests
2 Likes

I am moving the Whonix proposed idea here for the convenience of discussion:

Whonix IPv6 and nftables support

Project: Whonix IPv6 and nftables support

Brief explanation: T509

Expected results:

1 Like

I am really interested in this proposal because it seems to be a great opportunity to touch the heart/core of Whonix.

I am wondering if you could share your insights on the importance and urgency of this proposal, @Patrick ?

In other words, what are the positive/negative influences with/without having those support?

I understand IPv6 is coming, and people will switch to it eventually, but how urgent is it?

Thank you so much! Looking forward to hearing your insights!

1 Like

Whonix might be worse than other projects that add support for it. Might result in a worse network fingerprint as well as worse web fingerprint.

Pretty urgent due to (upcoming?) fingerprinting issues, which is even todo research / ask TPO. Better to be ready since this is non-trivial to develop.

1 Like

Hi Patrick! Thank you for answering my questions!

Could you please elaborate a little bit on the network and web fingerprint you are referring to? Do you mean that when Whonix supports and prefers connection to IPv6 Tor guard relays, it may be different from normal Debian Tor users?

rustybird said in the issue:

For IPv6 connections between the tor client and the Tor network, there’s ClientUseIPv6. It too is disabled by default, and not enabled by Tor Browser. Until that changes, corridor should probably continue to block all forwarded IPv6 traffic unconditionally.

Therefore, shall we not enable (but support) IPv6 in Whonix until IPv6 is enabled by default in Tor and TBB?

I agree.

Other than the IPv6 support, I identify Whonix localization as something very important:

• input methods in non-Qubes-Whonix ( and maybe Qubes-Whonix )
  • different fonts selection and installation
  • switch from gui-message to gettext
  • setup translation groups and invite translators to translate at least GUI applications
  • split locale_settings wizard from Whonix-setup-wizard as a standalone wizard
  • integrate locale_settings wizard into Whonix-setup-wizard as a module

The localization may attract more users in the areas where Whonix is needed most. Localization for Whonix is very important partly because English may not be widely spoken or used by people in heavily censored areas.

I will definitely take is as a goal in my daily development. But do you consider Whonix localization as a good GSoC idea?

iry:

Hi Patrick! Thank you for answering my questions!

Could you please elaborate a little bit on the network and web fingerprint you are referring to?

Do you mean that when Whonix supports and prefers connection to IPv6 Tor guard relays, it may be different from normal Debian Tor users?

Network fingerprint: It means by the time most non-Whonix users can use
IPv6 connections to Tor relays but Whonix cannot, it is a probable sign
for the user being a Whonix user.

Web fingerprint: If TBB supports IPv6 destinations but Whonix not, that
would also be bad. Fortunately we actually don’t have that problem.

rustybird said in the issue:

For IPv6 connections between the tor client and the Tor network, there’s ClientUseIPv6. It too is disabled by default, and not enabled by Tor Browser. Until that changes, corridor should probably continue to block all forwarded IPv6 traffic unconditionally.

Note:

• If I agrees with this or not does not matter: Having IPv6 / nftables
    support ready would help to move things forward so when ready when needed.

• Most likely did not mean contributions for an optional IPv6 option
    would be refused. Only that it would not be enabled until said condition
    matches.

Therefore, shall we not enable (but support) IPv6 in Whonix until IPv6 is enabled by default in Tor and TBB?

For that component: Follow what TBB does whenever possible.

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your detailed explanations, Patrick!

I will look into that and take further steps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tor is doing a Tor Summer of Privacy (TSoP):

I am wondering if TPO can still generously give students who would like to contribute to Whonix a spot this year. I guess if so, the project will have to be something closely related to Tor in Whonix?

To clarify, I am of course interested in doing a GSoC/TSoP with Whonix, but if anyone else is interested, too, please take the opportunity.

I will keep contributing to Whonix anyway so having another contributor will maximize the benefits to Whonix.

//cc @Patrick

3 Likes

Hi @iry just an FYI I brought this up in my mail to Roger and will let you know of any updates when I hear back from him. Thanks for your awesome work on connection wizard. You’ve solved a big UX pain point for us.

2 Likes

Hi @HulaHoop !

Thank you so much for helping to bring this up to TPO. Let’s see how it goes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry. Too much stuff. Didn’t get to this. Except for the Whonix spot
through Qubes that nobody applied for.

Please remind me early for this next year.

1 Like